What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me get a spot satellite communicator.

Hello Everyone,

Last edited:
So...you want people to just give you money?......good luck with that. ;)

Or you could just... you know. Not be an outdoorsman and spend that time when you'd be making them worry by being with them.
Just a thought.
Dunno how donations for non-CP stuff fits in either. You could atleast do a dance or something if you want monies.

WOW!
I can not believe someone would post something like this.
Donations for you to buy something......

I own the first SPOT and it's a great device for people who spend time outdoors when no cell phone service is available.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118369

I'd suggest you get one, but buy it yourself!

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Found a 1st generation SPOT on ebay for $75.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOT-GPS-PERSON...0491831889?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item20b5f73a51

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Found a 1st generation SPOT on ebay for $75.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOT-GPS-PERSON...0491831889?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item20b5f73a51

Isn't the point of being out in the woods so that you are away from society and its technologies? :scratch:

Lewis and Clark didn't have SPOT satellite doohickys and they made it all the way to the Pacific ocean and back in a time when the wilderness of North America was in its prime...

The outdoor's men that I know don't use or need these sort of devices.

Personally, I feel it's only a fool that goes into the wilderness (as in, way off-trail, way out there, gone, etc.) without some means of communication. Be it a GPS locator or a satellite phone or what have you, I personally feel it's vitally important you bring some way to tell people where you are and that you need help should something go wrong. Regardless of how "outdoorsy" a person may be, they're still human; they still make mistakes and they can still be injured. Having a way to get out of a crappy situation like that should be, as far as I'm concerned, mandatory. While there are plenty of examples of people that have done or do fine without them, there are more than a handful of lives that could've been saved should they have brought something like SPOT along. So, if a person thinks they're above the possibility of making a wrong turn or taking the wrong step and injuring him or herself and, therefore, doesn't need technology in the wild, yes, I think said person is a fool.

That said, I don't think you'll be too successful with your donation drive here. o_O

I have a degree in outdoor recreation from paul smiths college, i spent 30 days in the woods with 6 other ppl, ever 8 days we had food droped off, we had no electronics other than watches, Yet we did have a satalite cell phone. In the course of 30 days we hiked 135 miles strait through the heart of the adirondacks. Its definatly a great i dea to have one but as long as you let somone know verbally and in writing where you plan to go and how long you plan on being and stick to it there should never be a need for a tracking device if u dont return than somone knows where u are and if your not back in time.

Unless you leave for a two-week trip, for example, and injure yourself on the second day.

I go on multi-day backpacking trips in isolated areas of Utah and have done so for most of my life. The High Uintas Wilderness area in northeast UT is a favorite as are Coyote Gulch and other isolated areas in the remote southern UT deserts. Ialso do mountain climbing in the Wasatch nearby. I've never had any true emergencies, knock on wood. But I've had enough close calls to know that having a Spot is a very smart decision. Things can go from fine to disaster in the blink of an eye.

Plus, it does make things easier on my wife when I'm gone for days with otherwise no link to the outside world. Yeah, she worries. Already have a trip planned for the Wind River range in Wyoming for this summer. Can't wait! I live for that stuff. It is by far my favorite 'hobby'.

Others here have already stated why having a device like, SPOT or PLB (Personal Location Beacon), is a good idea when alone in the back country. Since I almost always do solo trips, it makes sense.

I spend time reading on this forum and since then have made myself better prepared in case of an emergency, out in the back country to driving around town.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

im not allowed to hike by myself anymore in rough country anymore cause my knees are two screwed up and prone to hyper extending without warning but in general i hate technology such as the SPOT and cell phones cause to many idiots head out thinking such a thing makes up for knowledge and ppl like me have to go try and rescue some idiot that didnt think they needed to be prepared for bad weather cause they have a cell phone or such.....just cause you have one dont mean you live, plenty of ppl die of exposure before we get to you......

Regardless of how "outdoorsy" a person may be, they're still human; they still make mistakes and they can still be injured. Having a way to get out of a crappy situation like that should be, as far as I'm concerned, mandatory.

Anyone can make mistakes anywhere at any time. It's more dangerous to be driving a car every day then it is to hike in many remote areas. Mandatory guidelines on wilderness excursions? That has to be one of the most oppressive limitations of our rights as living beings I've ever heard of!:0o:

So, if a person thinks they're above the possibility of making a wrong turn or taking the wrong step and injuring him or herself and, therefore, doesn't need technology in the wild, yes, I think said person is a fool.

All of mankind that came before us were fools???

It is just a matter of choice, if you want to bring your little doo-dads with you into the woods then that is fine, sure you're wife and kids would appreciate it, perhaps. But as soon as you bring these devices that can contact mainstream technological society you've essentially negated a major portion of the wilderness experience...

I can understand the desire to perform safety precautions but honestly, my thought is that if you die in the wilderness due to your own mistake or from an animal attack, or whatever the reason, so be it - you weren't fit to survive in the wilderness.

if you die in the wilderness due to your own mistake or from an animal attack, or whatever the reason, so be it - you weren't fit to survive in the wilderness.

THIS.
It's called nature. The food chain. The circle of life.
It's called, we're not superior gods.
We're all gonna die someday anyhow.
So lets put on our big-kid pants and deal, instead of wasting time and energy in trying to prevent the inevitable, especially when throwing ourselves into risky situations.

It's more dangerous to be driving a car every day then it is to hike in many remote areas
And that is why every one of us wears a seat belt every day. ^.~

One can, and many do, die in car accidents due to their own mistakes. We take measures to mitigate that risk, ie wear seat belts. Bad things happen, it makes sense to be prepared. There may be those that would use technology as a crutch, but others of us use it as an added layer of safety. It gives one more options in critical situations. With an aviation background, I know that options and layers of safety are of utmost importance. I still put in just as much prep as I ever have (actually, even more now thanks to the fantastic features of google earth and being able to do a 'virtual reality' tour of our target areas), but carrying a little device that weighs mere ounces and could save my life or that of someone else is a no-brainer. It's not about preventing the inevitable. It's about mitigating risk, ie 'putting on a seatbelt'.

i refuse to pack the things, hell ive got a GPS i refuse to use cause it doesnt help with much.....and i am fully aware of the risks, more so than most that pack a safety net.....the wife is convinced its the elements thats eventually gonna kill me....course my wife is also under strict orders to leave me out there if i do something stupid and the weather moves in....no need risking a dozen lives to save my busted up self....

if your trying to pinch pennies to buy gear for hiking a GPS is pretty far down teh list of what i would buy, proper clothes(cotton kills), proper boots and a properly outfitted day pack rate much much higher.....a GPS is something that can be useful but its pretty far down the list and is a want, not a need....

Back