What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchased an RO unit

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
Thought I would get some of the expert opinions on this one. I did much research and talked to the reef gang and this came highly recommended:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store...d-ro-no-di-4-stage-drinking-water-system.html

It is a 4 stage system with a complete drinking water kit (3+ gallon pressurized tank, sink faucet, etc). It does not have DI, but according to the research I did on terraforums, it will make water that is plenty pure for carnivorous plants... should easily get me under 10 ppm. Oh yeah, I was pleased to find out that it is a 75 GPD unit... and it looks like it has really high quality filters and parts. Complete filter replacement kit is only $31.

Thoughts?

nice! This is next on my "To Buy" list.. Let me know what you think of it.

Looks pretty nice with the option of hard connection (and the tank) or the quick connection. The $31 replacements is nice, does that include all three: carbon, sediment and TFC membrane? My 75 GPD TFC membrane is $90 to replace. :(

Thanks Mass! I'll definitely leave feedback... I am just thrilled that I'll have this bad boy under the sink... sure beats going to the store.

Swords, I don't think it includes the membrane. I was wrong, the replacement cost is actually $20 and includes the following filters:

5 Micron Purtrex sediment filter
1-MATRIKX + CTO®/2 Carbon Block (5 micron)
1-MATRIKX® +1 Carbon Block (1 micron)

Hopefully it won't be that hard to install... I've never done one of these.

I looked up replacements on that site and it says $35.99 for the 75GPD membrane, it doesn't specify if it's a TFC membrane or the other kind (I forget what the other type is). But it claims theirs is useable in all R/O units, would sure be nice to buy my next one for 1/3 the price.

I use my R/O on a quick connect fitting to the kitchen faucet, with just a push of a button I can pop the hose on or off going from making water to washing dishes and then back again. Under the sink would be nice if you had the room and were good with plumbing but I didn't wanna hook it up that way incase I screwed it up and flooded the apartment below me. Which I did anyway once - never trust yourself taking a nap while making water! LOL

My 75 GPD unit makes a 5 gallon pail of water in 2 1/2 hours.

If you want RO parts.. this is the place to get them.
http://www.wateranywhere.com/

Swords - if you have the standard RO filter housing that you see with most multistage units then any 11 3/4 x 1.8" diameter membrane will fit.

You can even upgrade to a higher GPD rated filter but you would need to change the inline flow restrictor.

WOW those are some really great prices Tony! I will have to measure my cartridge but one of theirs has the same look (shape/color) as mine. Any idea if they will take it back if it doesn't work? Do these cheaper cartridges last as long as the more expensive TFC membranes I've been buying from Marine Depot for all these years? I replace the membrane every March and the other filters every six months.

Do you have any links with info or a description on how to change the flow restrictor to swap out for a larger membrane? I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one around here who'd like to double their GPD output for a few dollars in parts! :)

As long as the salt rejection % is around 98% then they will give very high quality water. They should last just as long as any of the TFC membranes from the fish supply companies... they are probably the same membranes.

I don't know if they would take them back if they were installed and used but unopened maybe? As long as the unit you have uses standared size ro membranes and not some odd size proprietory filter, then any of the small size residential membranes would fit the housing.

As far as flow restrictor. You would have to look on the waste water output line to see what is currently in place. There are a variety of different types. It may be a seperate piece in the line or might be combined with a flush valve. Some units don't use a preset inline flow restrictor but instead have some sort of needle valve to slow the wastewater output flow.

I do have a flush valve but I bought it and installed it myself some time after buying the initial unit it didn't come installed. Not sure if that would affect the original flow restrictor? Is it simply a matter of cutting the waste water output down and forcing more water through the membrane?

Is it normal to have to drill a hole in the pipe for the waste water? I always get nervous about drilling holes!

Into the drain of your sink? Yes, if you are installing the RO unit under your sink, you will drill a hole into the drain for the waste water. Unless you want to connect a longer hose to it, and run it outside for watering your lawn/plants outside! My RO that is in under the sink goes to the drain, my 2 ROs that I have (one in each greenhouse) each have 50ft 3/8" hose on them (50' is too long for 1/4" hose and increases back pressure) so I can move them around the yard and water trees/lawn....
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. So was it pretty painless to drill a hole? I watched the installation video and that seemed to be the most questionable step for me... everything else is simply connecting hoses. They said installation should take less than 30 minutes. I can't wait!

Okay, so I'm really iffy about all of this. I'm not exactly the most "handy" person.. so I want to hear just how easy it is to install one of these units. I can drill a hole though.. lol.. I'm not to worried about that part.
Also, I have no idea what I'm looking for when shopping for a unit.
If I don't end up buying the same exact unit as Baylorguy, then this is the only other one I see that I can afford. Again, I don't know what I'm looking for.. so how's this look to you more experienced peoples?

http://www.wateranywhere.com/Water_...10186&osCsid=eea5340e7fcf1268a29856cd76946efb

And is it worth the extra $20 to go from a 12 GPD unit to a 75 GPD unit? I can't imagine I'd ever use more than 12 GPD.

It's likely just a plastic pipe, so the hole is cake to drill. When I moved from my apartment, I just replaced that one pipe :D

Mass, if you get a good one, it should come with everything you need. You hook it to the cool water, hook up the waste water to the drain, and the rest is just connections around the unit. It really is a 30 min. deal.
That kit looks ok, but I generally try for 3 stages before the membrane, you do not need the polishing filter that is after the membrane unless you are also going to be drinking the water. One other note about that system, is it will only make about 12 gallons of RO a day, that's pretty slow and only if you have a few plants will it keep up, that can be upgraded though as mentioned earlier in this thread I believe.
Andrew

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

yes, I would get the larger membrane. You may not use 12 gallons a day, but remember the system only holds about 2.2gallons at a time ;) so it's how fast do you want it to replenish that 2.2 gallons of water in storage.

So the 75 GPD unit that Baylorguy is getting would be my best bet huh? Okie dokie.. I'll get it ordered and on it's way.
Oh, guess I should mention that I've got to keep it under $200. That's my max price range.

Hey Mass, the unit I got came highly recommended from several people, so in terms of quality, it'll be solid. You can look at some of their videos on the website... they explain the components they use and how it is one of the best bangs for your buck. Let us know what you decide!

Phil

Oh, I've already decided to go with that same one. You sold me on it.. ;)

I'll let you know how the install goes... if it blows up on me, I'll shoot ya a PM on what NOT to do!

I'll let you know how the install goes... if it blows up on me, I'll shoot ya a PM on what NOT to do!

If it blows up.. be sure to get it on video.

Back