What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The world ends May 21st 2011 - for real this time!

Yay! Another reason to ignore important environmental degradation across the globe!

Seriously, it seems the time people spend freaking out thinking that god is going to vanquish them, they could have spent being educated about the world's problems, their own destructive consumerism and/or any other list of reasons that actually WILL lead to the apocalypse (of our societies).

It makes me sick... why do people have to concentrate on how we might die, when we certainly will because not enough people concentrated on how we might all live together in the future?

That being said, if God got bored and released the end-times date to a bunch of cookoo birds in Carolina, then at least, at the VERY least -

I will have been able to drink legally for 24 hours. :D

If you think about it, a date for the whole world to end is physically impossible- today is January 3rd in the US, it is January 4th in Australia. So basically, it would have to take about 3 minutes for the world to end for it to end all on the same date.

You know what's REALLY scary?......The woman in the article was in the millitary......a crazy like that was allowed access to REALLY BIG GUNS!!! :0o:

If you think about it, a date for the whole world to end is physically impossible- today is January 3rd in the US, it is January 4th in Australia. So basically, it would have to take about 3 minutes for the world to end for it to end all on the same date.

It depends on the hour too, the Earth experiences 3 days simultaneously every day:

For two hours every day, between 10:00 and 11:59 (UTC), there are actually three different days observed at the same time in different places. At UTC time Thursday 10:15, for example, it is Wednesday 23:15 in Samoa, which is eleven hours behind UTC, and it is Friday 00:15 in Kiritimati (separated from Samoa by the IDL), which is 14 hours ahead of UTC. For the first hour (UTC 10:00–10:59), this is true for inhabited territories, whereas during the second hour (UTC 11:00–11:59) it is only true if one counts an uninhabited maritime time zone twelve hours behind UTC.
The central Pacific Republic of Kiribati introduced a change of date for its eastern half on 1 January 1995, from time zones −11 and −10 to +13 and +14.

It's awesome how Caroline Atoll got to experience 2011 first before every other landmass in the Earth, while their neighbors Baker and Howland Islands were still in 2010 for another day (estimate).

I agree 100% Dexenthes. Worrying about the end of the world is futile, and the date--assuming there is a set date of the apocalypse--is not something we will know until it happens. Rather than expending so much energy on useless worrying, people should focus on what they can change.

I once heard a theory about why each generation seems to want to believe the end of the world will come during their lifetime: it gives their lives meaning. The last generation will be special; it will be the legacy of humanity. Unfortunately, if the world were to end right now I don't think I'd be proud of what we've done or what we'll leave behind.

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Update: Now the fish are dieing too!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kills-in-arkansas-leave-many-scratching-heads

A state veterinarian tells NBC that preliminary necropsy results show that the birds died of "multiple blunt trauma to their vital organs."

Unfortunately, if the world were to end right now I don't think I'd be proud of what we've done or what we'll leave behind.

I feel the same way. I am a young person and if, knowing all that our ancestors have learned for us, my generation can't produce some positive changes in the world, then why breed?

It disturbs me when disobeying my life's one true calling (to spread my genetic heritage) is something that I feel I have to do.

So I was just standing in line at the post office and the guy behind me was trying to convince someone on the other end of his cell phone that "the world is going to end on May 21st, it's all in the Bible."

Good grief. -.-"

The world can't end in May! "Final Destination 5" comes out in late August and I can't miss it!

I've listened to this guy's radio program at work. He hosts a call in show. He is very opinionated and seems to be 100% confident he is right. I will definitely be listening on May 21. I can't wait to hear him backpeddle! This same guy predicted end dates before, which of course never came, but yet somehow this one is supposed to be different, and people blindly follow.

I'm amazed people still believe this stuff. It has been the 'end times' since the beginning of time!

PS - If I'm wrong, can I have their stuff?

Nightsky alluded to this, but I find it amazing that history has countless examples of what NOT to do, yet people continue to commit the same blunders. I hate to say it, but when it comes down to it... people can be very, very stupid.

I hate to say it, but when it comes down to it... people can be very, very stupid.

Amen, brother! I think that things are happening... setting up, as it were... Israel becoming a nation; OPEC; Islam; nukes; Jerusalem; the Palestinians,.... but to predict an exact date is anti-biblical. It clearly says to be watchful and prepared... but forget about honing down a date.

Amen, brother! I think that things are happening... setting up, as it were... Israel becoming a nation; OPEC; Islam; nukes; Jerusalem; the Palestinians,.... but to predict an exact date is anti-biblical. It clearly says to be watchful and prepared... but forget about honing down a date.

I agree Jim! The stage is set, but the date is not :)

Well i knew, the world didn't END! It's 6:05 and i'm still here.

The ducks aren't in a row but the quacks are!

Well i knew, the world didn't END! It's 6:05 and i'm still here.

Wait... what? Weren't you the one who made a forum post to warn us all that it WAS ending? Now you're acting like you knew all along that it wasn't? Clearly you learned nothing from that exercise.

Wait... what? Weren't you the one who made a forum post to warn us all that it WAS ending? Now you're acting like you knew all along that it wasn't? Clearly you learned nothing from that exercise.

he's young...he's just acting based on what he's told....let's just let it go. *sigh*

And obviously you didn't read it carefully because he didn't say it was going to happen today, nor did he specify any date.

Back