What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E File your income taxes?

Hey folks, instead of getting my 1040EZ tax packet and form this year I got a postcard that says to either E File on their website or go to the PO and pick up the forms.

So who here has used the E File website themselves at home? Is it as easy as the regular paper form - can you do your state taxes on it too? I got a MN tax booklet and form but was just curious if the E File was for federal only?

Not concerned with anti-tax rants or anything, just wanna know reactions on the user friendliness of E File to get my refund so I can buy some new terrarium gear! :D

I've been using H&R Block to file my taxes online since I've had to file taxes. It's very easy and straightforward. You can file both federal and state taxes. It's not necessarily "cheap," but it's easy and it means I don't have to go out and deal with people. One thing I'd say, though, is that I'm sure I'd be getting bigger refunds if they were getting done professionally. They know what to look for and what strings you can and cannot pull whereas I obviously don't.

That's my $.02.

Hey Swords - a few years ago we did our taxes online and as I recall we did both state and federal (Kansas). It worked well and was easy enough. Since we have gone to a family friend since because we now how jobs in two states (Kansas/Missouri) so it is a little more complicated.

I think it is easy enough. I can't say about if you have a lot of donations and deductions or anything like that, but for the basics it's pretty simple.

xvart.

Was it free to use the IRS's site? I liked using the forms cos it was free and only took like 20 minutes to do both (the three sheets for the state of MN taking the bulk of the time).

I don't have any stocks, deductions, properties or kids to think of. The EZ form is/was a one side form asking what you made, what you paid compared to what you owe and the difference is yours to either pay or keep.

Hmmmm... I don't think there was, and if there was it was minimal (like a three dollar processing charge or something like that). I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being significant or else we probably would have done it manually.

I use E file for state and federal every year.. It's simple.

Depending on the situation...if it's pretty clean cut, I guess you could E-File. I dunno, I'm still pretty naiive in all of this grown up stuff, but I do know that last year, I didn't pay a cent in taxes, and our tax guy got me $11 dollars back. No idea how, but he did, and that's pretty awesome.

Most states can be e-filed through H&R Block's website - they're who I use. There are a number of tax filers who will do your e-file for free if you meet the low income requirements, and even if you don't qualify for that program, they'll do your federal taxes for free just so they can get you to pay to file with your state.
~Joe

we efile using H&R block and have for 7 years atleast......easy to do and havent encountered problems yet.....

Ever since the wife and I got married and bought the house 5 years ago, I have been using Turbo Tax..
LOVE it!
I buy it once a year at Staples or somewhere that has it on sale..usually $40 or so.
and it includes a state return (you download your specific state) and free e-file for federal and state..
its very easy to use, and it guides you through all the scenarios..mortgage, retirement, witholdings, mutual funds, itemizing..all the fun stuff..I usually finish our taxes in an hour or so, using the program..

Actually, the first year we were married we used a tax preparer..I think it cost $150 or so, which I thought was outrageous! and I think the guy was just using a computer program anyway! so I thought, I can do this myself for a lot less! with the Turbo Tax program, you dont need to know HOW anything works..basically you just enter all your numbers from your forms, and it crunches the numbers for you. If you have a house, kids, or anything more complicated than just your W2, I highly recommend it..

Scot

+1 for Turbo Tax. I use the service that's a step above the basic package because I have a couple of stocks and bonds, I live and work in separate states, and I have to make quarterly estimated tax payments to the state of New York rather than having them deduct my taxes straight from my paycheck. It works just fine for me; much cheaper than paying someone to prepare them for you and a whole lot easier to fill out forms by hand. The first time I filed taxes I paid an H&R Block rep to do it for me. It was $300 and the rep screwed it up so I had to file an amended return at additional cost. Totally not worth it... it's much better to go it alone unless you're worth millions and have multiple income streams and you need someone to sort through piles of paperwork for you.

If you end up doing Turbo Tax or H&R Block online, check about bonus offers from your credit card company if you have one. I have the Chase Continental Airlines Mastercard, and by going through the Shop Onepass website and paying with my Continental card, I get 20 air miles per dollar spent - so if my Turbo Tax service costs around $100, I get 2,000 air miles which goes a long way towards a one-way flight. If you have a cash back or points rewards card that has similar deals with these online tax prep companies, you may be able to score a 10-20% discount. Think about it!

Back