What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saw the doc.......

even before we bought plane tickets and reserved a hotel room for 4 nights and spending the better part of a grand, before the wifes shopping out here in Seattle, i was figuring there is about a 90% chance that i wasnt gonna here anything i didnt already know......which is what i heard.....keep up with the PT to keep my quads properly in shape to use muscle tension to hold my knee cap in place since i dont have the notch in my femurs to do it, keep fit to keep as much weight of my knees as possible and suck it up and just deal with the sensitivity to air pressure changes....

what cartilage ive got left on the ends of my femurs is in poor shape so i need to be careful just how i exercise so i dont destroy what i have left to fast.....no normal running, especially on pavement as the wear and tear on the joints is to much, a stationary bike is a poor idea aswell.....an elliptical and hiking on soft ground is a good plan.....and its not if but when i get artificial knees, its just not now.....

so thats what im gonna keep doing.....

How about swimming? Weather not all the conducive to it outdoors, but it is pretty low impact....

alright man---that's tough....really tough. keep going at it man! we're rooting for you!

Yeah, swimming seems like a great idea. If it is even remotely feasible, I'd definitely look into that.

It's a pain how fragile the human body is. Just take care of it, like you're planning, and things'll work out.

i live in a county the size of Rhode island with 10,000 ppl surounded by counties of similar size and population densities with winters that can and do see down to -60....swimming options are present from June to the first half of Sept.....maybe also in April May depending on how hardy you are to cold :D

actually swimming pisses off my knees, both have hyper extended so the ligaments allow a lil more movement than they should so it generally doesnt feel to good if i do much swimming.....

Ohmygosh :<

I'm so sorry, Rattler.
I do hope you take it easy until you're able to get your knees all fixed :)

I know it is no consolation, but at least you know where you stand now...
(and no, no pun intended.)
It will take some time to sink in without a lot of emotion attached,
and at that point you will make the most of it and be able to figure out your path to take,
even if that likely means doing nothing for now.

While you may not be able to be as active in the way you have been in the past,
it is likely you will find new things, new ways and a new world of activities to fulfill you.

I am sorry you didn't get better news,
but I am sure you will find a way to deal with things in the forthcoming years,
and live an even better life than you might have imagined.

It is things like this that weigh heavily upon us,
but they are also the things that force us to bring out our best self.
(...or not!)

If nothing else, it's things like this that sure makes life challenging and eventful.
From my own experience, I can't say if that is a good thing or not however! ???

Good luck in the future with this.

I would opt for Kula's "pool"!

Sorry the news wasn't better for you man. You know, every experience I've heard about joint replacement -- knee, hip -- has been VERY positive. Of course the initial recovery sucks, but after that the pain is greatly diminished and people always ask "Why didn't I do it sooner?" And since your case is not a matter of if but when...heck, if I were you, I'd just get it over with and reclaim a life without pain!

doc said im not a candidate for replacement yet since the pain from activity can be controlled with proper PT for the most part......my major problem pain wise is my sensitivity to barometric pressure and a joint replacement wont necessarily fix that....once im bone on bone joint replacement becomes a real safe bet on controlling pain from activity.....

Back