What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting into electronics, advice on tools needed

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I'm hoping some of you tinkerer/electrician types out there will have some advice for me. I'm getting back into electronics/robotics tinkering and no longer live near friends I can bum tools from. So, I'm in the market for my own soldering irons, multimeters, circuit testers - maybe even an oscilloscope (sometime down the road... had no idea how expensive those buggers were.)
What types of features should I be looking for? Which brands should I avoid/favor? I'll be working with a range of voltages from mains down to microelectronics, so I think I'm kind of crossing specialties. Do I need to buy separate tools designed for each domain?
A lot of the practical knowledge is still a mystery to me - most of my understanding of electronics is textbook/theory type stuff, or from projects that I did with grownups as a kid. So any advice, good books, etc. would be handy. Thanks. :)
~Joe

Back