What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pepper Growing?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience growing peppers indoors or at least in containers outside? I don't have much in the way of garden space here at school so would have to make due with what I do have, pots and dirt!

I'm not sure what kinds of peppers I want to grow, but probably a few different, hot kinds.

Looking forward to your suggestions,
Kyle

Lol what a coincidence, just started with some myself.
Sowed some todayand got more seed inc.
Maybe i can help.
What do you want to know ?

Well I was just inspired cause I'm purchasing some Mimosa pudica seeds, and its super cheap to add packs of different peppers to my order. How big of a container would I need to house a plant that would fruit eventually? I'm assuming it would need almost full sun, which I have patio space for. Also, any recommendations on easy/delicious peppers would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know much about taste, ive only tasted 1 kind of pepper.
more arent available over here.
From what ive read a 2 gallon pot should be enough, and a lot of ppl over here say you can easily put upto 3 plants in a pot, but i also read a lot that in the ground youll get more peppers.
They dont seem to need that much light, more then neps for sure, but not like full sun all day.
The thing that seems to impact the size of the harvest the most is temperature afaik.
Depending on the species/cultivar/strain they need 1-3 warm months for the peppers to ripen (70+ i think)
Ppl over here start sowing peppers in januari/februari to make sure the fruits are forming when the summer warmth gets here.
And if you manage to keep them alive over the winter, the next years crop will come much sooner and will be larger.

If you like rlly rlly rlly hot stuff (like 1/2 strenght of commercial pepper spray) i know some rlly hot peppers :p:
Anything with naga, bhut, trinidad, 7pod in the name.

(disclaimer: all this info i got online, got no real expirience with them yet)

I had a friend once who grew peppers under lights and he had some pretty decent success.

He used only a couple CFL bulbs and got some decent yields. He was growing Thai peppers, annnnd I forget what else.

Should be pretty easy though! As far as I know you can grow them more or less (for lack of a better example) like you would Cannabis. Extended photo period while in vegitative growth, and 12 hour photo period when you want them to flower and produce fruits.

I grow both indoors and out. You can get fruit from plants in as little as 16oz. solo cups but I like to have most of mine in 5 gal. containers. Indoors they grow under 4 6500k 26watt CFL and 4 40watt t12 and I get fruit only after pollinating them myself. Peppers grow and fruit at the same time so you dont have to worry about changing bulbs or photoperiod. You know you are growing them right when they are getting 4-5ft tall outdoors.

Head over to Thehotpepper dot com for a lot of information.

Here is a Trinidad Scorpion near the end of last season

SDC10941.jpg

Some Bhut Jolokias

SDC10892.jpg

Bhut Jolokia and Chocolate Habanero

CIMG0042.jpg

These guys were in 1.25 quart containers

SDC10822.jpg

SDC10821.jpg

Tree Habanero that I dug up to over-winter, ceilings are 9'

CIMG0116.jpg

Fatalii Grown in a 1 quart Terracotta pot.

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

Chocolate Habanero

IMG_3535.jpg

I had some little ornamental peppers in with my CPs this summer. They were under fluorescent lights and seemed to do very well. They produced quite a few peppers which I saved and dried in order to use the seeds next year.

I'd think it would be similarly easy to grow other kinds, just as Dex suggested.

My mouth is burning just looking at those! Great peppers. :bigthumpup:

Back