What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perlite at Home Depot

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
For those who can't find perlite without fertilizer a recent trip to two local Home Depots in the LA area showed shelves full of two cubic foot bags of perlite without fertilizer. These are about the size of a sofa seat cushion so be prepared for a lot of perlite if you have a small collection of plants. About $17US.

And for those small collection growers in California OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) is carrying the Black Gold line of soil amendments including Sphagnum peat moss in two or three different size bags - again without fertilizer. There is also a SuperMoss brand of compressed long fiber sphagnum moss again in two or three sizes. The quality is better than the Mosser-Lee stuff which many of you sneer at but either is better than not having a safe substrate to plant in. OSH sells perlite without fertilizer. Just get a ticket (if in stock) and take it to the register. They'll load it in your car.

As always wear a respirator or a dust mask when working with dry perlite.

Interesting, I wonder if our local HD's will also start to carry non-fertilized perlite. They haven't had any for a year or two (non-fertilized peat - they have had). I just recently added some perlite to an order from an orchid supply place.

Availability may be regional. The perlite is in pale green plastic bags from some company in Arizona. They were in the indoors/covered section.

Yup. I picked up a large (2.2 cubic feet) bale of compressed peat moss from Lowes @ $12.99 and a large bag (2 cubic feet) of pure perlite from HomeDepot @ $16.99 last week.

WalMart also carries small bags (8 quarts) of pure perlite- Schultz brand.

They're on standby in my garage until February:

P1120003.jpg

Last edited:
Perlite is pure undiluted evil. When it rains, all the perlite in your bog or pots will shoot straight to the top

Also found at the Home Depot in Clarimont, for all you SD residents. It is not availiable everywhere. This store also carries gypsum and vermiculite

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to check the local one.. all I have been able to find so far is the Miracle-gro stuff (ick)

Perlite is pure undiluted evil. When it rains, all the perlite in your bog or pots will shoot straight to the top

Perlite is not magic, the top stuff floats sure. Lower down stuff stays put.

I love the stuff myself. Vermiculite I don't care for though.

well.. my local Home Depot doesn't carry it.. but I did find it on their website

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Perlite is not magic, the top stuff floats sure. Lower down stuff stays put.

I love the stuff myself. Vermiculite I don't care for though.

Why don't you care for vermiculite?

Check the smaller local garden centers. I buy Hoffmans locally. I do NOT like Miracle grow stuff because they add ferts or moisture control crap to their stuff.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

well.. my local Home Depot doesn't carry it.. but I did find it on their website

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Why don't you care for vermiculite?

It's not needed. Peat moss and Perlite is all you need. I prefer peat moss over vermiculite for moisture retention.

Check the smaller local garden centers. I buy Hoffmans locally. I do NOT like Miracle grow stuff because they add ferts or moisture control crap to their stuff.

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 AM ----------

It's not needed. Peat moss and Perlite is all you need. I prefer peat moss over vermiculite for moisture retention.

OH.. ok.. I thought there was something wrong in general with vermiculite and you hated it for everything.. I like it for starting flower seeds (mixed 50/50 with peat moss).
And I agree with what you said about the miracle-gro mixes... i hate that stuff

haaaa le lu ya.

I also have a OSH near me, i'll check the out. Thank you very much!!!

Vermiculite is useful for mexi pings though. :)

It's pretty standard when making an entirely inorganic mix.

Back