What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing To The US

• Thread starter dionae
  • Start date

dionae

sarracenia lover
Can anyone tell me what permits I need to import plants to the US from EU? I'd also like to know how much it costs. I'm not trying to open a business or anything. I can just find what i'm looking for easier overseas. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It's easiest to find a vendor that ships to the US and does the permits for you. Getting your own permits can be kind of an ordeal, although I understand that in some cases there are easier processes designed for private citizens importing small amounts of material. I don't have many of the specifics but I know a few people around here deal with that stuff, so I'll let them fill you in on the details.
~Joe

If you're going through Wistuba, he does all the paperwork for you through his person on the East Coast. If not, you'll need CITES and phytosanitary and everything if it's neps or anything else on the CITES appendicies.

Can anyone tell me what permits I need to import plants to the US from EU?
This thread probably gives you the info you want. The answer depends on the species of plant. As Thez said, it's much easier if you buy from US vendors or ones that have reps here or do the importing for you. In general, legally importing plants is expensive .... (shipping & phyto)

Thank you all very very much. Looks like it will cost me $75 total but sounds like its going to be a hassle getting it all setup. Gonna go for it in the near future. I'd love to order from some of the overseas companies. Thanks again:)!

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Correct me if i'm wrong, but dont seeds require the same permits as the plants? I'm thinking yes but i'm not sure.

Be aware that after you have sent the paperwork in and received it back you have to report in person to the nearest USDA office to you confirm your identity before the permits will be issued. Depending on where you live the nearest USDA office can be many hours away by car.

Not to thread hijack, as this is similarly related. Has anyone dones business with CZplants? (http://www.czplants.com/)

They have hamata clones and macrophylla clones I am interested in, but I don't want to have to fiddle with paperwork if its too much trouble. From what I understand with Wistuba everything is already handled on that end, you just order and go and get CITES and phytosanitary documents as necessary.

I emailed the USDA and they said if i'm ordering under 12 plants I only need a phytosanitary certificate.

Back