What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yerba mate, drug epidemic.

Before, or after the complementary bladder cancer? ;)

I've never heard of that happening before. I can definitely say that it's easier on your organs than coffee is.

I've never heard of that happening before. I can definitely say that it's easier on your organs than coffee is.

Based on the wiki swords posted, it reduces the chances of some types of cancer while increasing the chance of getting others.

Concerns over the bladder and oral cancer is what kept me from going overboard with it. It's an interesting occasional treat but I don't drink it everyday or even weekly, hence how long it takes me to finish a bag. I do prefer Cameron's Kona Coffee more! :D

Concerns over the bladder and oral cancer is what kept me from going overboard with it. It's an interesting occasional treat but I don't drink it everyday or even weekly, hence how long it takes me to finish a bag. I do prefer Cameron's Kona Coffee more! :D

Kona coffee....I had it once...and it was AWESOME! :-O

Cameron's is bagged in the town next to mine so I don't know how much US distribution they have but it's the best Kona I've ever encountered, so smooth it's almost like cocoa. Infact... :D

Cameron's is bagged in the town next to mine so I don't know how much US distribution they have but it's the best Kona I've ever encountered, so smooth it's almost like cocoa. Infact... :D

Kona coffee is a pain in the butt to get here....almost no stores have it.

Ahh so wiki has spoken, but I do think it's important to put things in context:

In vivo and in vitro studies are showing yerba mate to exhibit significant cancer-fighting activity. Researchers at the University of Illinois (2005) found yerba mate to be "rich in phenolic constituents" and to "inhibit oral cancer cell proliferation" while it promoted proliferation of oral cancer cell lines at certain concentrations.[26][clarification needed] This activity was due in part to inhibition of topoisomerase II activity in yeast.[26]

Conversely, yerba mate consumption has been associated with increased incidence of bladder, esophageal, oral, squamous cell of the head and neck, and lung cancer.[27][28][29][30][31][32] However, a case-control study[33] showed no increased incidence of bladder cancer in mate drinkers.

A study by the International Agency for Research on Cancer showed a limited correlation between oral cancer and the drinking of large quantities of hot mate. Smaller quantities (less than 1 liter daily) and warm rather than hot mate consumption were found to increase risk only slightly; alcohol and tobacco consumption had a synergistic effect on increasing oral, throat, and esophageal cancer. The increased risk, rather than stemming from the maté itself, could be credited to the high temperatures in which the mate is consumed in its most traditional way, the 'chimarrão'. The cellular damage caused by thermal stress could lead the esophagus and gastric epithelium to be metaplasic, adapting to the chronic injury. Then, mutations would lead to cellular dysplasia and to cancer.[34] Given the influence of the temperature of water, as well as the lack of complete adjustment for age, alcohol consumption and smoking, the study concludes that mate is "not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans".[35]

Researchers in Mississippi found that both cold and hot water extractions of yerba mate contained high levels (8.03 to 53.3 ng/g dry leaves) of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) (i.e. Benzo[a]pyrene).[36] However, these potential carcinogenic compounds originate from drying process of the maté leaves, which involves smoke from the burning of wood, rather than from the mate itself

I, for one, have been drinking only the air dried mate and like I said earlier I only drink it cold. I also don't smoke cigarettes. So I am not worried.

How much more carcinogenic could it be than say, corporate deodorants, or many of the strange "food" ingredients in a lot of the modern supermarket products?

Or even the alcohol mouthwashes and their connection to oral cancers. Especially for tobacco smokers and chewers.

Yeah I just did some more extensive research on this issue, as it is one that is quite relevant to me. :0o:

I drink the stuff every day so obviously it is of concern to me.

Honestly to me it looks like most of the research or people that are saying that it could be carcinogenic are not as well founded as I would like them to be. Also, many of the arguments apply to a myriad of things, not just mate! Call me a conspirator, but I really think it's a sabotage campaign by Big Coffee. :poke:

If you like mate try Guayusa

Yerba mate is great and I definitely enjoy a cup every now and then but I have recently gotten hooked on guayusa. It is also from a holly leaf and can be found in the Amazon in Ecuador. I prefer guayusa over yerba mate because it has a much smoother taste with no bitterness. Plus yerba mate tends to make me hyperactive where when I drink it and guayusa gives me more balanced energy.

Back