What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Egypt

I really don't think you would want to see gas at $5.00 A GAL.

Hotrod30

I have paid 5 dollars "A GAL" before. We survived.

Though, granted, if you are driving an overtly thirsty Hotrod, you will be more disappointed than me.

I have paid 5 dollars "A GAL" before. We survived.

Though, granted, if you are driving an overtly thirsty Hotrod, you will be more disappointed than me.

lol, trust me, I can afford it. The country can't.

Well I don't know what to tell you, there are always bicycles and car-pooling...

The point I was making was not how much we are willing to pay at the pump, but what we should be working towards to get away from the pump altogether.

Because either way, the Egyptian people have formed a Revolution. If they don't want to be friendly with our usage of the Suez canal, than oh well, who would blame them? After all, it's our tear gas and rubber bullets that have been fired at them. It's the dictator that we have been paying a Billion and a half dollars to every year that they are trying to defeat.

The worst thing we could do now would be to continue to aggravate that area of the world.

America ought to get it's hands off all the nations they're meddling in. Washington is already trying to "guide" this revolution....

Well History has shown, that you can't beat the people. Not in the long run anyway.

Looks like Mubarak is stepping down and handing power over to the military...
After all that military aid we've given them, the Egyptian brass wouldn't want to lose that so I'm guessing they are going to be "cool" with us.
A couple of points I'd like to state: There's a difference between mob-rule and democracy. Beware of the Tyranny of the Majority. Hitler was elected. The price of gas isn't the only thing the price of oil determines.

I really hope for a real transition to a true democracy for the Egyptians. This looks to be a historic moment!

Anyone ever read or seen Persepolis by any chance? It is an interesting point of view of one persons experiences of the Iranian Revolution in an entertaining and easily-digested format.

Yep, looks like it will be meet the new boss same as the old boss.

Most people do not support tyranny. But most people usually do not recognize it until it is too late. It usually comes into being in small incremental steps right under our noses and under false pretenses.

I saw this quote somewhere and it has stuck with me for some reason. Seems fitting to use it now. "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." Thomas Jefferson Good to see the people of good conscience in Egypt finally speaking up.

I have never read it. I will look Persepolis up tonight. Sounds interesting to hear another point of view from an eye witness.

Last edited:
Finally! I'd say good work on the Egyptians behalf.

Of course corruption and tyranny still have a hefty chance left in this battle, but I really do believe that by watching the Egyptian people's actions throughout this whole thing, they wont easily fall into another corrupt form of government.

There's not a lot we can do as Americans and I am just fine with that. I am not interested in being the policemen of other countries. I have been impressed with Obama's statements lately, and I feel that that is about as good as we can do is to have an eloquent "cheerleader" of sorts.

Congratulations to the Egyptians, and good luck in the days and months that lie ahead.

I like the fact that this was a fairly bloodless revolt...but I am sceptical that anything will really change....prolly trading one tyrant for another, and now the millitary is in charge....oh boy....

@ Exo:
Bloodless?
Far from it. :<
Hundreds died (and those are just hospital numbers) in the conflict.

Anyhow,
I wish that the majority would think for a second, and stop looking at this as some sort of spectacle. Instead, we should take this as an example, a reminder of what we are capable of. I hope that the shift to democracy (tyranny of the majority, hecks yea! >:c ) is peaceful, and that martial rule doesn't do too much harm.

Last edited:
@ Exo:
Bloodless?
Far from it. :<
Hundreds died (and those are just hospital numbers) in the conflict.

Still though, as far as revolutions/coups go.... That is really not very much blood spilled. Not as much as could have been spilled.

But truly, the whole situation is not over yet. There could be more to come, who knows.

Already the Muslim Brotherhood is "demanding" that the military hand power to them I hope it doesn't become a baby Iran with the wacky religos running the place instead of the military... Hopefully the kids won't stand for that any more than military rule.

Oh Swords, it's funny you say that. My friend said this recently about it:
"The people of Egypt confirmed the power of the human voice over the past few weeks. Now, let's just hope that the transfer of power goes smoothly and this revolution doesn't result in a complete nutcase taking over (Iran, I'm looking at you)."

It's sort of like what happened in Iran where they overthrew the US backed Shah and then the Ayatolah's swooped in and now look at it. Any sort of religious based government makes me very nervous.

democracy (tyranny of the majority, hecks yea! >:c )

The term "Tyranny of the majority" refers to mob rule, not Democracy (look it up)

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

It's sort of like what happened in Iran where they overthrew the US backed Shah and then the Ayatolah's swooped in and now look at it. Any sort of religious based government makes me very nervous.

I'm hoping that it'll turn out like Pakistan's transition from Military rule to Democracy... but more peaceful like.

The revolution in Iran was much different. It was much more "religious" than the Eqypt revolution, which was secular, and involved all kinds of different groups united in frustration at their corrupt government and enduring poverty. It is also very much an "internet" revolution - made possible by twitter, by facebook, and yes, by Wikileaks. I have high hopes for this one.

The revolution in Iran was much different. It was much more "religious" than the Eqypt revolution, which was secular, and involved all kinds of different groups united in frustration at their corrupt government and enduring poverty. It is also very much an "internet" revolution - made possible by twitter, by facebook, and yes, by Wikileaks. I have high hopes for this one.

This, I totally agree with!

Back