What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So as most of you have read, I was hired to build and supply a nepenthes showcase for Superior Grow Supply in Lansing, MI. I've got the list of plants, and have started working on what I'm going to use to grow them in the store.
I have my choice of supplies from their website: www.sunlightsupply.com
Feel free to take a look, put your own dream setup together, and present it here. Any feedback, thoughts, concerns, or better ideas would be greatly appreciated. I figure with all of our minds put together, we can make one hell of a setup for this store. THANKS TF!!

The Grow Space: http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-13843-2-x-8-side-by-side-garden-system.aspx
The Lights: http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-12135-solar-wind-air-cooled-t5-vho-fixtures.aspx (48" 8 bulb)
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-12128-spectralux-t5-vho-fluorescent-grow-lamps.aspx
The Plants:
1. N. spectabilis giant x ventricosa seed grown 12-18"
2. N. veitchii x platychila MT 12"
3. N. glandulifera hybrid MT 10"
4. N. ventricosa x fusca 10"
5. N. (spathulata x aristolochioides) x (lowii x ventricosa) seed, vining 18"
6. N. maxima wavy leaves seed grown (not showing waves yet) 10"
7. N. eymae 8" be tc
8. N. spathulata 8" be tc
9. N. copelandii apo rooted cutting 10"
10. N. sibuyanensis x maxima rooted cutting starting to vine 12"
11. N. singalana x ventricosa be seed 8"
12. N. sibuyanensis x spectabilis 8" be tc single clone

Last edited:
Hooooooly cow that's a lot of light. Should be able to get some crazy beautiful coloration. I'm so jealous, what an awesome job.

I know, right?! He's a total genius when it comes to this- his taste is most excellent!
Can't wait to see it all together! :-D

I know, right?! He's a total genius when it comes to this- his taste is most excellent!
Can't wait to see it all together! :-D

Oh stop.. You give me way too much credit. I'm sure the real professionals around here would agree.

Psh, yeah, alright. You'll have to come here and make me stop, then.
Or just stop being amazing.
Your choice.
:p

Some genius.. I had vent x fusca on the list twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a slighly less powerful version of that light for my HL chamber.....it's freakin' nuclear. :-))

Looks nice! Are you going with a drip system? Is the room going to be open or are you going to close it off with panda film/mylar? If you do close it what are your plans for venting the room? I notice the light has a air hookup. Are you going to vent the light too? are you going to use light pulleys? So far everything looks good. If your going to go automated You should look into getting your fan (if you use any) on a thermostat so it will turn on and off at specific temps. The store should have all these available.

Looks nice! Are you going with a drip system? Is the room going to be open or are you going to close it off with panda film/mylar? If you do close it what are your plans for venting the room? I notice the light has a air hookup. Are you going to vent the light too? are you going to use light pulleys? So far everything looks good. If your going to go automated You should look into getting your fan (if you use any) on a thermostat so it will turn on and off at specific temps. The store should have all these available.

Drip System: Yes
Ventilation on Setup: Open
Light Ventilation: Yes (but I may just go with a regular T5HO, not sure yet)
Light Pulleys: Yes
Fan: No ~ I want to try and keep the humidity up around the plants. And with open ventilation, the air movement around the setup will already be there.

Drip System: Yes
Ventilation on Setup: Open
Light Ventilation: Yes (but I may just go with a regular T5HO, not sure yet)
Light Pulleys: Yes
Fan: No ~ I want to try and keep the humidity up around the plants. And with open ventilation, the air movement around the setup will already be there.

Cool sounds good! In my room the humidity still is really high even when it is heavily vented. I'm not sure how high the humidity will stay with the whole room open? Unless the relative humidity in the shop is high your likely to have humidity problems with the open setup.
Are you going to mist them to do this? Maybe shut off 3 of the 4 sides. That should help some.

If you vent the lights you can get them much closer to the plants. Anyway some food for thought.

Are you going to mist them to do this? Maybe shut off 3 of the 4 sides. That should help some.

The setup has a built in overhead misting/drip system. And I totally thought about closing off the sides and the back with some sort of reflective surface, probably mylar. I think it'd be for the best, so I plan on doing that.

GrowLab is an excellent brand, there really aren't too many that compare in terms of price and quality of materials. The seams could be sealed a little better, but overall I was very happy with mine.
~Joe

Plants are in, and the setup is complete.. pics should be up later this evening.

Back