What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pepper Transplanting Question

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I planted 6 different types of peppers almost 2 weeks ago and some of the sprouts are already an inch tall or so. No I planted 4 cells (about 1.5x1.5 in each) of each type of pepper with 2-3 seeds in each. Some cells have all the seeds germinating and I was wondering what I need to do with the cells that have multiple plants. Do I uproot all but one plant? Can I let them all grow? Can I transplant the extra ones at such a young age?
I've never really grown anything from cells before so am new to the whole transplanting/weeding of sprouts.
Thanks for the help in advance,
Kyle

Are you going to put them out for the summer or have them be just indoor plants? Whenever I planted tomato or pepper seeds early inside in Vermont to put outside for the summer, I would start them around spring break time, and just let *all* the sprouts (no matter how close together) grow til they were 6" tall or thereabouts in their pots come transplant time. I'd then plant them outside without ever having done any weeding out of the smaller ones unless they looked really really unhealthy.

I plan on potting them outside when its warmer. And its reassuring that I can let em just grow. None are more than an inch together I'd say. Also, Thez, what kind of lighting did they get inside?

I would transpant them all together into bigger pots. You'll most likely loss a lot if you try and seperate. Next time you sprout seeds try this method ( I use it for all my vegi's with great results. I take all the seeds and place them in a paper towel. Fold the towel and wet. I then place the towel in a plastic bag. Once you see the seeds have sprouted ( you see the first tap root) you can plant them into pots. This helps weed out unsprouted seeds before wasting soil on them. Plus this allows you to plant as many seeds together (or not) as you like.

I'm always so happy there's so many knowledgeable people on here...thanks for the great tip!

I'd always put them behind a window that gets direct sun. They'd lean something fierce and require acclimating to non-glass-filtered sun come transplant time, but if you rotate them while they're sprouting and then put them out for a couple hours each day for a week before potting them up outside, they'll do fine.

Back