What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know about replacing halogen with LED light?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    led

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I want to replace a 60 watt halogen with an LED light. The light is par16 so I ordered a par16 LED light and thought it would fit, but the light fits in a regular light socket and is way too big for the halogen socket.

I am out 25 bucks now and don't know what bulb I should have gotten. Can anyone help? The bulb I want to replace is on the left, on the right is a 6 watt LED bulb that I bought that doesn't come close to fitting.

DSC06787.jpg

DSC06790.jpg

I think it's Par 38 or something that they like to use on the nano reef forum. Most of those people just seem to use these in a screw in desk lamp fixture with a goose neck, those are like $20 or less at Walmart or $30 at Target. Unless you have to use the old fixture it might be easier to get and new lamp that fits your new bulb.

I have a half dozen or so of the first generation LEDs - they look like 6" red or blue traffic light bulbs! :lol:

Yeah, Par 38 is waaaay too big. This is par16 for sure (the diameter of the reflector/housing) but the base is much smaller.

The bulb I want to replace says MKH/E17 but I don't really know what that means. It is 100V and 60 watts.

That bulb is only three watts and is white light, which may be seriously lacking in PAR (photosynthetically active radiation).

If you're planning to replace a 60 watt halogen with a ?? watt LED, I would think you would want to research what quantity of usable light the halogen is providing to your plants and then replace it with an LED lamp that provides the equivalent or better.

Last edited:
Back