What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neem Oil Effective Against....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Aside from aphids and other bugs, is Neem effective against the snails and worms that occasionally get into our pots?

I didn't see it make a difference to the health of a worm. As for snails, I'm happy when I find them because they make great CP food :p

I'd rather not have the snails munching on my plants but when they get to the surface they do indeed make great food for these guys:

100_8782.jpg
100_9001.jpg

100_9132.jpg
Nep Food!

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

CP worm.... also Nep Food!

100_9166.jpg

Worms seem to be very difficult to kill. There are several products that supposedly make them surface...and mustard also is reccomended...probably not French's though.

How could one kill earthworms?

I may have to nuke my soil media before use!

I may have to nuke my soil media before use!

Do it well or they can survive by crawling toward the center and waiting out the heat. I know.

The effect of neem oil as a pesticide is in reproduction. It blocks pests by messing with their reproductive cycle. This is a blurb out of wiki:

Formulations made of neem oil also find wide usage as a bio-pesticide for organic farming, as it repels a wide variety of pests including the mealy bug, beet armyworm, aphids, the cabbage worm, thrips, whiteflies, mites, fungus gnats, beetles, moth larvae, mushroom flies, leafminers, caterpillars, locust, nematodes and the Japanese beetle. Neem oil is not known to be harmful to mammals, birds, earthworms or some beneficial insects such as butterflies, honeybees and ladybugs. It can be used as a household pesticide for ant, bedbug, cockroach, housefly, sand fly, snail, termite and mosquitoes both as repellent and larvicide (Puri 1999). Neem oil also controls black spot, powdery mildew, anthracnose and rust (fungus).

I'm also contemplating putting the media on the porch where they can all freeze to death! let's see how they can handle the extremes!

Back