What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pH effects on Various CPs

Has anybody else experimented with lowering the water/soil pH with any of their CPs? They tend to like more acidic conditions (except Pings) so i bought a basic pH test kit and have been adding small amounts of distilled vinegar to the water I've been using to get it to a pH of 6.0-6.5 & sometimes even lower. So far--its been 3-4 months-- pretty much everything seems to LOVE it. I've noticed a significant + growth difference with my Drosera (D. adelae in particular) as well as Helis, Cephs, Sarr seedlings that I have under lights, even Utrics. I can't really say yet about VFTs or adult Sarrs since they are still in dormancy for me.
has anyone else tried this or have anything to report on this subject?
thanks
-M

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never experimented with vinegar, but I have with coffee, which is acidic. There is a huge thread about fertilizing with coffee in the Nepenthes forum. Perhaps some of the benefit is from the acidic pH?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've thought about it but never got the guts to try it. Didn't know how much vinegar to add. Plus the smell of vinegar messes me up for some reason!

If vinegar works for you, good. The lady across the street sprays her front ditch with white vinegar to kill the weeds. Works pretty good. It's illegal to spray the ditch with weed killer.

I use milled sphagnum moss mixed in distilled water using a blender. I use 1/2 cup of moss with 3 cups of distilled water and mix a few times and let sit all day. I then pour it back into a gal of distilled water (minus the 3 cups) to top warter the plants.
I have tested the distilled water from Walmart and found it to have a ph of 6.4. My home water has tested 7.4ph.

Back