What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' brown tops.

album.php
I have a S. 'Judith Hindle' that has about 14 pitchers. about 5 of them are not all green. the tips of some a brown like tree leaves during fall. i don't understand the reason for this. i got this plant from Lowes and it was fairly small so it couldn't have been that old. could it be that i have it too close to the light? or could it be from lack of real sunlight? i give it plenty of water and about a few hours worth of sunlight once a week. should i up the sunlight days?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you should give it a full day of sunlight 14/7 and what kind of water are you using?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

If you got it at Lowe's then it should have came in a little cube if so then slowly take the top off like quarter of the way off for a day then half off for one day then fully off for one day then leave it in the cube with the lid off for one day then the next day take it out of the cube.

distilled water. so i will keep it in my windowsill from now on. i got it from lowes in december. its been doing good since then but those brown tips worry me a bit. i spray it with water and keep the bottom filled 2-3 inches. i have kept it in the tube because it makes a good water basin. should i take it out of the tube? i tooke my flytrap out so i could cut the flower and allow the leafs to grow out a bit.

Also that picture won't show it is just a x.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Ok so far so good but how much sunlight does your window recive a day and what direction is it facing north east south west?

try clicking the x. it should bring you to my facebook picture. if not let me now and ill post the link here. im not sure which direcetion i get sun from but my room gets about 4-6 hours worth in the afternoon. my living room gets 5-8 hours of sunlight but im not leaving it out because my cat will try to eat it again.

Unless you are in the Southern Hemisphere your Sarracenia should still be dormant or just beginning their growth season. If the plants are properly synchronized with the seasons chances are the pitchers you have are from last years growing season. Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' has some Sarracenia purpurea in the mix and as such the many of the previous years pitchers will not start to turn brown until the beginning of the new growing season.

i live in new york. my pitchers dont look like Sarracenia purpurea. they all look the same. the kind of brown they are turning is making the leaves brittle like tree leaves in the fall. when you go to hold one they just crumble. its only the very tips that are like this so once i switch its light schedual it should go back to normal or at least not spread

It's a Sarracenia right? If so then you should put that outside and give it as much sun as posibly.

i honestly cant tell you what kind it is. i got it from lowes and allit says is S. 'Judith Hindle'. im going ot be giving it a lot of sun and put it outside when it isnt too cold or windy. its been very windy lately. i lost my grabage pail so i would rather not find my plant on top of my neighbors roof lol

Its probably just drying out from dry indoor winter air..
not much you can do about it, and its not really a big deal..

just put the plants outside in April, leave them outside until November, then find a good spot for winter dormancy next winter..

your plants are probably fine..I wouldnt worry about the brown tips, not a big deal really..
they will bounce back fine when you get them outside in the spring..

Scot

Back