What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to put outside?

I have some pitcher plant seedlings that i am growing indoors and since it is really warm i thought i might put them outside so would it be the right time with this forcast? http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...37&site=ffc&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I also have some pitcher plants from Lowe's i want to do the same thing with and a few Droseras like filiformis, Filiformis red var., and intermedia.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

I really just want to make sure that it won't be to chilly at nights for them because of course they have been in the house from Lowe's so is it ok to put all of these outside?

Lows above 40 are easily warm enough to put the plants outside. The only thing I would caution is if they are not used to full sun, you want to slowly get them accustomed to it. I am slowly putting my rotundifolia seedlings outside and so far they love it.

Good luck. Isn't this warm weather awesome?!? It got up to 80 here yesterday and my Sarracenia flowers are going bonkers.

Phil

Yes it is COOL! But my sarracenia are not growing yet because i think just two weeks ago we had a inch of snow on the ground so that sort of explains it don't you think? Niether are my Venus flytraps i guess time will tell in about one or two weeks from now. One more thing shouldn't i protect them on Tuesday night?

Ean

Do you have a garage you can move them into? If so, for peace of mind you can do that on Tuesday as long as it is not a pain to move whatever pot they are in.

Yep i have a garage and no probblamo to move thanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Also if anyone else has any more tips comments or anything just please post i need all the info i can get thanks.

If its above 32 degrees at night, its perfectly fine..
no need to move them to a garage or anywhere else if its above 32..
actually, I dont bother to move my plants to the garage in the spring or fall unless the forecast says below 27 or so..a light frost wont hurt them..(although a frost in the fall is better, because you want them to be going dormant..a frost in the spring is less deseriable)

if you are really worried, make your cutoff 35 degrees if you dont want them to get any frost..
but really, 32 is perfectly fine to stay outdoors..

If you are getting nights above freezing this time of year, you are really lucky!
My plants wont be going out on the deck for another month at least.. :(

wait..hold on..you live in ATLANTA!?
oh man..you have no idea how lucky you are!
leave your Sarracenia and VFTs outdoors 24/7/365..you dont need to move them anywhere, ever! :)

scot

Thanks for the info and trying to help Scotty but I know that stuff bit I need to know becaue I was growing some sarracenia indoors and they were use to my house conditions and I thought just putting them outside would put them into shock or something. That's all and I had a few plants from Lowes so thanks!

Back