What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is why you should rinse your peat!

this is a pot of drosera nidiformis seedlings i sowed about SIX MONTHS ago. as you can see the seedlings are competing with the moss and losing. theres about a thousand seedlings buried under the moss

IMG_5086.jpg

THE WINNER:
IMG_5087.jpg

Looks like your dews are in a sticky situation!

That is very beautiful moss.

I thought you might be gonna talk about pest creatures from peat. Lately I have been finding very tiny red centipedes in my peat after it sits in the terrariums for a few months. I never use peat in pots but I mix up "forest soil" for my plant & animal vivariums with shredded cypress mulch, oak twigs, crushed leaves and peat. They don't seem to hurt anything, I don't know if the baby vampire crabs eat them or what.

ill trade it for some pings. the moss is thick enough i could pull the whole top off in a nice moss disk. sundews and all....

But of course if you were trying to grow a pot of moss you would have ended up with D. capensis, D. burmannii, D. binata and others that get around with the least provocation.

Last edited:
I've gotten that even after rinsing peat....seems to be just a matter of chance for me.

But of course if you were trying to grow a pot of moss you would have ended up with D. capensis, D. burmanii, D. binata and others that get around with the least provocation.

LOL! That's about right!

Back