What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seasonal light changes?

boxofrain

does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Hope Y'all are enjoying the day!
I have question about times for indoor lighting.
As a "fish farmer", I would step up my lighting 1/2 hour every two weeks. From a 12 hour
winter (most fish were tropical) to a 16 hour summer. Would this be correct for the Nepenthes as well? And just where is your photo period at this time?
Thanks for the knowledge and experiance that is given freely here at TF.

Were Nepenthes grow there is no seasonal variation (except maybe less light when its rainy season?)
Got my lights on for 14h all year.
Half my light comes from outside though, and thats pretty noticable on some neps, they stop pitchering in fall and start again when the days become longer (januari/februari)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the way I do it, is to increase the lights and temperature over a period of a few weeks. I repotted on Super Bowl weekend and in doing so I believe I woke the VFTs. The Sarracenia and other stuff stayed asleep but the VFTs started to grow. The lights (2 bulb T-8, 2 bulb T-5 (all 48 inch) and LGM5 LED grow strips on each terrarium) were on about 9 hours with the temp set at 46 deg F. Last Saturday I increased the lights to 12 hours and set the temp to 55 deg F. Today I increased the lights to about 15 hours and the temp to 60 deg F. Next Saturday I will increase the temp to 68 deg F and turn on the other banks of T-5 bulbs (2 bulb 48 inch). The following Saturday I will increase the temp to 75 deg F and leave it at that temp. The CO2 boost will start sometime in mid-March.

Like I said, this is the way I do it. The lights come on and go off in a sunrise - sunset method. The controller is a X-10 system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.
I will go with seasonal changes. It just seems more natural to me than a constant time/intensity.
Does anyone know the daylight hours in a Borneo summer versus winter????
If the hours are constant...that is what I want to do here as well.

Boreo is right on the equator so there is no variation.

Borneo.jpg

Boreo is right on the equator so there is no variation.

Borneo.jpg

well now...that is just too easy!
so, 14 hours every day is good for you? it is good for me!
Less messy entrants on my plant calender as well.:banana2:

Back