What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant Lighting: Help please..

So even though I requested 4 8bulb T5 fixtures in the Nepenthes Showcase at the shop.. THEY, decided to put in 2 800w Hortilux Daylight liquid cooled halides. They said it,"provides a better rendering of actual sunlight."
Is this true, and will this do the trick for a dozen large neps in a 9'h x 11'l x 5'w grow space? If not, I can have them change it to the T5's I originally requested.

I would run with what they have set up. Are the bulb set ups themselves liquid cooled or do they have chill box's mounted on the hoods? Either way, with the fans they will have available, you will be able to stick your tongue on the hood after you kick on the inline fans. Tell them to open up a climate controller and let you demo it for them!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

:0o:whoa, I didn't read careful enough, Dual 800 watters? Are they bridging dual 400 watt ballasts and using 1000 watt hortilux's?

If the only benefit is a lack of heat, it's not a good one. As of now they are having trouble getting the daytime temp up to 80*F.

Well. What hortilux bulbs are you using? They are one of the best IMO on the market as far as providing an excellent growing spectrum. Plus they make 5 different metal halide bulbs. Which one are you using?

As for temps, Your not telling much about the setup so how am I supposed to know that the temps were low to begin with. That can be remedied with a speed controller on the fans. Turn the fans down and retain heat within the grow space.

You know almost as much as I do at this point..

Should be fine. The two things I would worry about ( I have not experiance with water cooled lights) is
1. The heat of the lights which get you to number two.
2. The distance the lights have to be. I could get my air cooled 400 watts about 3-4 inches from the tops of my plats without burn. You may want to go even higher then that to get a good light distribution.

I use a 400 watt digital ballast with a MT400D/HOR/HTL - BLUE by hortilux. Compared to my flouro's, Plant stucture and internodal spacing were significantly more robust in the plants grown with my halides. Mind you I didn't use t5 HO's.
I will be using this setup with my Nepenthes as well to see how they fare.
You may want to grab a light meter and measure your lux (light at the plant level) to make sure your not hitting them with too much! The setup they are letting you use is most likely more efficient and powerful then the cheaper 1000 watters out there.

Back