What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Guard

• Thread starter Rball
  • Start date
I willing to try anything, Im great at anything i do i commit my self 100%. I do have some experience with computers but they are mostly big head aches lol.

So then, your family doesn't want to move with you? I still don't really understand why the military would be acceptable but moving to find a well-paying private sector job wouldn't.
~Joe

no we will move if its worth it, just want to be close to family but if it means a well paying job then ill move

Ah I see now, like extended family. There is definitely merit in that.
~Joe

like right now im 300 miles from my family as well as hers and it was real hard raising our daughter with like no help from family, trying to work opposite shifts so somone is home to watch her. figured if we moved closer it would help so we didnt have to get daycare and give us more available jobs

A friend & my brother both had a very good experience in the Navy. I would also think that the Coast Guard is a good option. Personally, I can't fathom what would draw someone to Army or Marines (especially with current world strife). Time away from family is almost assured...

If you go in, get a commitment to get training in some skill that will be useful once you get out.

My uncle also had a good experience as a naval officer, although from the sound of it, it did take him away from family more than he would've liked. I'm not sure I could take that much time holed up on a ship myself. I think the appeal of the Army/Marines is the prestige/physical conditioning. At least, that's the only real draw for me. But so many guys on the ground end up getting sent home with permanent musculoskeletal injuries - I'm already a wreck, it'd never work out. :/
~Joe

I think the appeal of the Army/Marines is the prestige/physical conditioning.

Absolutely. I'm in the process of making enlistment choices and I wouldn't have it any other way.

When I think about enlisting, I think of it as so much more than a job. It's a complete lifestyle. If you're only doing it for the job and benefits part, then by all means go for the Coast Guard, etc. Those branches are very practical from a job standpoint (not to say the Army & USMC don't have great jobs either, though). But if you really want that 'military/in the dirt' experience, then head for the Army or Marines. Just keep in mind that it's definitely not for everyone, and a lot of people will not understand your choice. My Father is still having a rough time trying to figure out why in the world I would put a hold on college for this.

For background - I'm currently applying for Warrant Officer Flight Training through the Army. I spent a semester at UNC Charlotte doing AFROTC and realized the only part of school I was really enjoying was the ROTC part... So I decided to enlist and maybe go back to school down the road.

Good luck with whatever choice you make. Everyone I've ever known that was in the military has loved it.

Edit- After re-reading your situation, I would personally go for some type of mechanic or pencil pusher position in the Air Force or Army, guard or not. Every base needs them, so I'm guessing you'll have a better chance of not having to go too far. I know for a fact, though, that the Army has to guarantee you your job before you sign papers, so that's probably a good thing to keep in mind. The Air Force may do the same thing. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I am friends with a guy deployed in Afghanistan right now. He's an AF mechanic.

I was speaking in terms of home (US soil) bases. It goes without saying that there's always a chance of deployment.

I am friends with a guy deployed in Afghanistan right now. He's an AF mechanic.

HAHA yea pencil pusher seams more .... Reasonable, but idk how that would work for me, im a very active person and would be more suited for more physical work.... My whole family on my dads side was in army and marines back to ww1, he told me never to join or he would kick my ***. haha but idc hes never been in the picture in terms of a father, never really listened to him before, not going to start now.

if money is a major concern the oil and natural gas fields are booming in Montana, North Dakota and Wyomings gearing up to hit it big this year......might not be what yah want to do for life but starting wage for water truck drivers is around $19 and hour and goes up from there......likely put a huge dent in your student loans and keep yah living comfortably till something in your chosen field opens up....

Back