What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NASC teasers!

oh.. it's on like Donkey Kong!! :poke:
Well, that or I can sneak into your greenhouse and leave you a piece before you even know anyone was there.

Well, that or I can sneak into your greenhouse and leave you a piece before you even know anyone was there.

You mean like a CP Santa?

So I sat down yesterday and made these orchid stakes (hot glue.. and plenty of it so that stuff stays on!) and that ridiculously feathery small orchid clip (hahaha, hopefully someone at least bids a dollar), and I painted a CP box! Haven't put felt or anything inside of it yet, but I've still got time:

P3200061.jpg

P3200063.jpg

P3200062.jpg

Anyone have experience shipping glass successfully? I was thinking of putting up a few sliding front aquarium modification kits to change your empty tank stood on end into one of these terrariums I like so much.

10vert14.jpg

You would get three pieces of 1/8" thick glass (door, soil guard and top strip), a strip of aluminum screen and length of sliding door track. Buyer would need a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot/Lowes or aquarium silicone to do this modification according to my directions here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123600

The kit would eliminate the assembler having to try to cut panes of glass. Just glue, cure outside for a week or so and plant. I can ship in flat cardboard sheets marked "GLASS fragile" if anyone thinks that would be effective.

I can make them for 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks if anyone is interested.

Anyone have experience shipping glass successfully? I was thinking of putting up a few sliding front aquarium modification kits to change your empty tank stood on end into one of these terrariums I like so much.

10vert14.jpg

You would get three pieces of 1/8" thick glass (door, soil guard and top strip), a strip of aluminum screen and length of sliding door track. Buyer would need a tube of Amazing Goop from Home Depot/Lowes or aquarium silicone to do this modification according to my directions here:

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123600

The kit would eliminate the assembler having to try to cut panes of glass. Just glue, cure outside for a week or so and plant. I can ship in flat cardboard sheets marked "GLASS fragile" if anyone thinks that would be effective.

I can make them for 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks if anyone is interested.

will this be a new selling project venture that can be called on in the future?

If there is interest then perhaps! :)

For now it's only as an experiment to see if such parts will actually survive shipping. I thought the auction would be a good way to see. I've been to the airport delivering jobs for work and I've seen how packages (even ones marked "fragile") are handled at the airport annex... That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.

If there is interest then perhaps! :)

For now it's only as an experiment to see if such parts will actually survive shipping. I thought the auction would be a good way to see. I've been to the airport delivering jobs for work and I've seen how packages (even ones marked "fragile") are handled at the airport annex... That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.

I have recieved a few of the 12" Exo-terra's through UPS without any problem, they were boxed in the original box then put inside another box with more packing.

If you get those all shiny and premade, you could register a patent and sell them on E-bay or the frog forums, I'm sure you would sell a few dozen a year with little effort, if you promoted them who knows. Target the frog people, they go nuts for this type of thing.

Then roll that money back into CPs!

I know people ship mirrors and picture frames and stuff... Maybe you could find some stiff foam to sandwich the panes between - I may have even seen boxes at shipping places specifically for this purpose. Also, there's always insurance.
~Joe

That's why I'm curious if anyone has sent/received glass successfully through the mail.
I periodically receive 2 & 4 foot fluorescent lamps without any issue. Bubble wrap and then a few inches of peanuts (3-4") on all sides should do the trick.

I was just thinking of selling a kit of the three glass pieces, screen and sliding track, just six pre-cut pieces with a link to online instructions not the whole assembled tanks. I don't think you could patent something that used someone else's retail parts (pre-made AGA tanks)... could you? :scratch:

According to a person I met who was in the export shipping business panes of glass should be shipped vertically. So it is important to label as "Glass - Fragile - Handle with Care" and indicate "This End Up".

Ah... thanks! :)

Let the fun begin ....

Here's a tentative list of stuff I'm likely** to chunk into the auction:
H. minor
H. minor 'Red' Wistuba
H. nutans, Wei Tepui, VZ
H. pulchella, Akopan Tepui, Venezuela (EP clone)
In addition to placing some individual Heli's into the auction, do you think there would be interest in a basket of them? Something like:

- H. pulchella - Akopan Tepui
- H. pulchella - Apacapa Tepui
- H. folliculata - Murosipan Tepui
- H. nutans - Wei Tepui
- H. minor - red
- H. minor

Seems like it might make a good starter collection for someone who wanted to jump into the world of Heliamphora .... :-O :lol:

I'm sensing that it's time to build up a heli collection. :-O

I might divide up my Darlingtonias this year.

One adult rooted division from this:

folliculata_hf.jpg

H. folliculata (Murosipan Tepui)
Mother plant has pitchers approx 12" tall and a deep, deep burgandy red.

Av

edit:
actual division:
folliculata_nasc.jpg

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
Back