What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
So of course, Nepenthes are my first love... and continue to be so. There's just something about a vine that I love.

I never liked Heliamphora until I got a few and then I warmed to them a bit. They're still not the love of my life though :-))

Now Cephalotus - mine sat admired but somewhat neglected for a while (6 months? 8?) until all of a sudden now I want them *ALL* :0o: and I still don't really want to collect Drosera.

Dionaea were always a death sentence in my garden and I never really was interested in them, but lately I can keep them alive and figured out how to keep them so they look good... so I decided to collect a few and leave it at that. Also, some cultivars that finally looked different from each other popped up so I can finally have different looking ones :lol:

...and Sarracenia are like a grass yard to me - nice to have down so it isn't bare dirt, but not really all that interesting to me. Utricularia are the random cute little violet and dandelion flowers that pop up in said yard... but don't get me wrong, I can't wait til umbrellas blooms! (Utric. nelumbifolia :p)

Have any of you guys changed heart with respect to which plants you really REALLY want to raise?

hmmmm....not yet. :p

ACTUALLY I TAKE THAT BACK....
i never was really into orchids...all i knew of were phrags and paphs, the occasional dendrobium...all were big sized plants, not for me....
and then, i stumbled upon mini orchids....game over after that....:lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, I originally only wanted the hugest Neps, and I did grow the huge species for many years but now I want mainly the diminutive species for my new collection. One extreme or the other I guess! :D

I can sort of relate. I think most of my interests are dominated by the things that I know I can or can't grow, and also what I can and can't afford. For a while, Sarracenia and Drosera got a lot of my attention because they were easy, but Sarracenia in particular are just kind of there and not doing anything half the year so when my plants aren't in active growth I'm definitely less excited about them. When they're in full swing though, few things are better than sitting out on my porch, watching the sunset and listening to the buzz of full pitchers. Nepenthes definitely capture my attention like no other, but at first when all I had were small plants and I hadn't found a growing method that worked for me, they were fairly frustrating and I had to stop fixating on them. Nowadays, of course, that's a totally different story. XD
I expect my interests will always waver and change, especially as the circumstances of my life change, and also as I learn more about different plants. I'm terrible at choosing just one thing over another. The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill, right? I'll always be curious to take another crack at the ones I couldn't quite manage to get right, and I doubt I'll ever shake the "gotta catch 'em all" mentality with those big, diverse genera like Pinguicula, Utricularia or Drosera.
~Joe

I'd have to say I never really have.........yet. ;)
That may change though!
My true love is Cephs, but having one or two is just about all I need. They can be a bit fickle to grow.

I love neps more, and I think I always will. Just the HUGE variety of them makes them truly great. Most are easy to grow and some can be grown in a windowsill. The fact a plants creates these pitchers just amazes me. ???

Helis comes in a close second. These will never be grown on my windowsill though.

That's my two cents.

My related story goes back quite a few years. My first love had been bonsai. When a neighbor down the street planted an English Cottage Garden complete with herbs i became smitten with herbs, but not to a big extent. I planted, and still have a rather large herb garden, but also did herbal bonsai. :grin:
I had always want to try orchids. Once I did I was hooked. The unexpected death of three of my largest and oldest bonsais :down: helped spur the orchid growing.
Then I bought some sundews to help with the fungus gnats That led to an outside "bog in a barrell" for sarrs and bog orchids. The dews led to an attempt at pings. I never thought I'd get into neps, but I did. :rolleyes: I love the smallest ones.
At each step I didn't give up my previous loves but added to them. Which is why I still have herbs, orchids, dews, sarrs and neps. This summer I'll be going back to the bonsai.

Nope.... still a sundew fanatic!

My affinity for sarracenia has grown over the years and takes a close second behind nepenthes. But, I still have no love for utricularia.

Meh...not really...I always loved most Cps, it was just a matter of being able to grow them...I like what I like.

My interests in different species changes every now and then, but usually goes back to dews, VTF's, and helis. I really like cephs, and wanted to collect them all at one point.. but then I decided I will only keep one as they are all fairly similar. At one point I also wanted to collect neps, because my raff was doing so well. I never really got any though, eccept for some free ones. :-D I've also wanted to collect pings, utrics, orchids, african violets, sarracenia (still do but can't grow them well), etc.. :p But yeah, for me my interest in the different species tends to go all around.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

My true love is definitely Drosera, though. :)

Back