What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of Southeast Alaska

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date
what a so impressive nature and fauna. Thanks for sharing

I must visit this beautiful place!

Great landscape shots, Dex. Really cool with the sun shining through the clouds.

I haven't really contributed much to this website lately but I did take a lot of pictures over a couple of days of having some fun local adventures. DUW

Some ducks -

Beautiful spring day

Hiking up to a hot spring. Always some interesting trees to see.

The falls coming from the lake.

We had to use snow shoes to hike the trail, the trail got iffy at some points.

A boulderfall

Club moss going into.... gametophyte production? I forgot what its called.

Rock cave. With grizzly bears around I didn't feel like checking out what was back there.

Arriving at the lake.

Pretty cool way to cross the river.

Looking down the falls

We then walked across the lake to save time.

We weren't the only ones... Not sure why this spider was out in the middle of the lake.

Great pics, Dex. I've always wanted to go up there and explore a little bit.

Mosses are gametophyte dominant, so I think you mean sporophytes.

Absolutely puzzled by this tree's growth.

We arrived at the hot springs

Nothing more than a rock pool.

I had to find its steaming source

This algae coats everything where the warm water runs.

The warm tropical steam has given this grass a long head start on the growing season.

The convergence of warm and cold water is clearly evident.

These webs covered everything along the banks. I thought they were some kind of slime mold. But later I discovered that some type of spider was in fact creating these.

There was at least this one species of grass which was growing in the hot water.

The slimy algae felt pretty neat.

I was dumb enough to dip my foot into this, the source. I will not be doing that again.

A fixer upper.

I decided to walk the beach back to my house from the lodge I had been working at. The lodge is about 2 miles past the end of the road system so I followed the beach for most of the way. This is just some cool lichen growing on quartz.

Crossing these falls without the water going over my boots took some skill.

At one point I had to climb along a sea wall. Surely I thought the beach would smooth out after just a short distance. I'm not much of a rock climber, the tide was coming in and it was stressful.

I ended up not being able to navigate the cliff because of a fallen tree. So I had to climb upwards and through this hole that led into the steep forest. Sort of hard to describe. Was intense though.

On the other side, a look back at the cliff that I couldn't reach.

A very large red cedar. Not the gaff hook that is resting at the base of the tree.

Some geese in someone's front yard.

There were heaps of krill everywhere.

Finally I reached a stream that leads right to my back yard and I had a nice relaxing walk back along its banks. All in all it was about a 10 mile hike.

Thanks for looking.

Awesome trip Dex! That tree is really funky looking. The spider webs were awesome too, I didn't know that invertebrates were so common up North.

Thanks mato, I knew I had the two mixed up. :p

Thanks Drew. Yeah invertebrates are just as common up here as in any place I guess.

Awesome! Alaska is amazing. :)

Greetings from a fellow Alaskan (Anchorage). Love the pics...reminds me of home--currently living in Connecticut. Thanks for sharing!

Another Alaskan! :D It's good to hear that there is another one on the boards.

We traversed a ridgeline that I have been wanting to climb for years yesterday. It was awesome!

We set out sights for this peak.

We were greeted by extensive(ly) bizarre Yellow Cedar forest.

A perfect view of "Nowhere", Alaska. If you have ever heard of a "bridge to nowhere" back when Palin was running for VP, this is the exact stretch of land that was being talked about.

Upon reaching the peak:

The view to the west and into central Gravina island.

A very intriguing looking patch of sphagnum bog. I will definitely be going there at some point.

The sunset last night over California ridge.

The next morning the view was quite different...

Ketchikan was not so visible.

We stumbled upon a wrecked airplane. Pretty eerie.

Upon descending there was much evidence of logging. Worth noting is that none of the trees that were cut were actually processed at all. Some of them were quite large and all of them were old growth trees.

Bountiful sphagnum bogs.

Crazy cedars.

Beautiful red color on this lily pad.

Floating D. rotundifolia

D. rotundifolia

P. vulgaris

D. x obovata

'Great photos, and carnivores too! The plane is creepy to see. Military? Your D. rotundifolia appears to have a wider and flatter petiole than the variety that grows around here. I've always found the differences in morphology in this species to be surprising.

Hmm, I wonder why it is named California ridge. Anyways, beautiful sunset! What a picturesque place. And the CPs just make it even better.

love the sphagnum!

love the sphagnum!

That was for you guys. :)

If you tilt your head the pond that is full of green sphagnum kind of looks like the "all-seeing eye". Weird. :banana2:

That plane was definitely an interesting find...

Back