What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of Southeast Alaska

• Thread starter Dexenthes
  • Start date
This is a very nice thread. 'Glad you spent some time on the skunk cabbage, Dex. It's one of my favorite species. Too bad there's no way to post the smell, ha!

Thanks max. :)

Gah, I know right? I love the smell. There's nothing quite like walking down the road in spring and that odor wafting through the air mixed with cotton wood foliage and salmon berry blossoms... Ahhh I thought spring would never come. :-D

I LOVE this thread! Thank you for taking the time and sharing. It's so interesting to see the landscape of a foreign country, especially when presented without cropping and photoshop, all natural.

A fantastic thread. Beautiful pics and scenery.

I find the vegetation interesting. :p

I LOVE this thread! Thank you for taking the time and sharing. It's so interesting to see the landscape of a foreign country, especially when presented without cropping and photoshop, all natural.

Thank you very much Maxima. :) I'm glad you have enjoyed it. I find that if something is beautiful enough it doesn't need to be cropped or photoshopped.

A fantastic thread. Beautiful pics and scenery.

I find the vegetation interesting. :p

Thanks Devon. :-D

I need to visit this area sometime in my life. During summer, of course. I'd freeze instantly otherwise.

I need to visit this area sometime in my life. During summer, of course. I'd freeze instantly otherwise.

There's not as much to see in the winter also... :lol:

Our Summers are usually quite cold as well, so no promises there.

Removed

Last edited:
Removed post

Last edited:
Removed

Last edited:
Removed

Last edited:
On my way home, this sunset...

DSCN7383.jpg

DSCN7385.jpg

DSCN7389.jpg

The next day we visited another island and I was so so so happy to finally find these in the wild. It was more exciting then all the archaeology to me.

DSCN7397.jpg

They were very hard for me to photograph. Calypso bulbosoma

DSCN7395.jpg

DSCN7396.jpg

DSCN7399.jpg

DSCN7405.jpg

Not photoshopped! :lol:

Calyspso.jpg

Just some ferns

DSCN7404.jpg

Last edited:
The town of Loring. What a place..

DSCN7425.jpg

Has an old ship wreck out front

DSCN7427.jpg

DSCN7428.jpg

Est. 1895

DSCN7429.jpg

Aaaand yeah, that's pretty much what I got. I hope you enjoyed.

Oh, here:

N. spectabilis x talangensis. :p

DSCN7333.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Pics!!! I really enjoy seeing new places

Cedar bark for basket making, Dex? I love moon snails, too. How can you not like a hard-shelled snail the size of a peach? As always very enjoyable stuff.

More CP's from Nowhere

Me and my girlfriend got our first day off together all summer. We had planned on going over to Nowhere. The weather did not cooperate with us and was very rainy like it always is (big surprise). But we already made plans! So we went anyway. It was wet.

DSCN7561.jpg

It was pretty moist.

DSCN7542.jpg

Labrador tea was the first pretty thing we encountered.

DSCN7541.jpg

Shortly thereafter: D. anglica looking a little saturated.

DSCN7540.jpg

Not nearly as saturated as this one though.

DSCN7545.jpg

A rather dense patch of D. rotundifolia.

DSCN7543.jpg

DSCN7544.jpg

There were also abundant P. vulgaris.

DSCN7558.jpg

Looking equally as soggy.

DSCN7548.jpg

P. vulgaris, D. rotundifolia living sympatrically.

DSCN7546.jpg

P. vulgaris, D. rotundifolia, and D. anglica living sympatrically.

DSCN7547.jpg

Just another patch of D. anglica.

DSCN7553.jpg

The only amphibian that we encountered. A deceased B. boreas. This dampened my spirits heavily.

DSCN7549.jpg

Lily pads.

DSCN7550.jpg

DSCN7551.jpg

Could not get my little point and shoot to focus on these flowers for the life of me. Oh well.

DSCN7552.jpg

Bog blueberry blossoms.

DSCN7554.jpg

A rather funky and interesting lichen.

DSCN7559.jpg

DSCN7560.jpg

It was wet.

DSCN7555.jpg

Wow, nice! Has it been raining a while, or just that day? I love that calypso flower!

Try putting your hand behind the flowers - usually a point'n'shoot will want to focus on everything but a hand, so that's how I used to get mine to take smaller shots.

Wow, nice! Has it been raining a while, or just that day? I love that calypso flower!

Try putting your hand behind the flowers - usually a point'n'shoot will want to focus on everything but a hand, so that's how I used to get mine to take smaller shots.

Ooo thanks for the tip! I have noticed that it wont focus on a hand, I will try that out next time I need to take a picture of a flower like that. I was very happy to find the Calypso orchids as well. :)

:lol: "has it been raining a while?" All my life thez, all my life. :lol:

To give you an idea here is a link to a ten day weather forecast for where I live:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USAK0125

I know! I'm not arguing with that. Free water is a blessing.

Also everyone is having these heat waves, fires and crazy wind storms and stuff. Here it has just rained, constantly. Our warmest day yet has been 72 degrees. Every day is around 55 degrees upwards of 64 degrees on nice days.

All very nice stuff, Dex. Beautiful plants are still beautiful in the rain. Your D. anglica shots make me realize that I should grow some of that in my mini bog.

Back