What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whats the going price for these plants?

• Thread starter back2eight
  • Start date
S. June Bug seem hard to find, what is a typical price for one if someone manages to find a good sized specimen? Also, what about S. Ritchie Bell? Flies Demise?

Now that Judith Hindle is not going to be mass marketed by TC anymore, what do you think is going to happen to these plants? They've been very cheap, but I bet they go up in price as they are become harder to find.

Why are they going out of tc?! If i could get seeds i could keep them going :)

dooms: seeds dont guarantee perfect pedigree....there's still some sort of recombination going on...old parents might manifest them out of the woodwork...especially with sarracenia. 'Judith Hindle' wasnt propagated from seed, i believe it was from a piece of the rhizome....

as for 'Judith Hindle's' future pricetag, i have a feeling that it will actually stay the same....most people who would have wanted one would have already had it, and i believe it divides at a reasonable rate, which will sustain propagation demands. I've only heard of two of the other cultivars: 'Doodlebug' and 'Flies Demise' both i believe are S. psittacina hybrids; and in my humble opinion, anything crossed by S. psittacina except by S. psittacina are (pardon my french) abominations.... :p ---so their prices will probably stay the same as well...anybody want to spite me and pay a premium for them? XD

How do you know S. 'Judith Hindle' is no longer going to be under TC?? Link please.

as for 'Judith Hindle's' future pricetag, i have a feeling that it will actually stay the same....most people who would have wanted one would have already had it, and i believe it divides at a reasonable rate, which will sustain propagation demands.

"Reasonable rate" is a complete understatement. Mine divide like mad that I am forced to give several away every winter or throw them out. ;)

and in my humble opinion, anything crossed by S. psittacina except by S. psittacina are (pardon my french) abominations....

I used to think this, but after while I figured they weren't that ugly. ;)

P9170022.jpg

Just because Agristarts 3 stops listing a plant that does not mean it is gone forever. Take Dionaea 'Cupped Trap' for example. And sundews like Drosera falconeri and D. spatulata come and go from their listing.

Supply can be affected by many factors including contamination of a batch to lack of demand. Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' was showing up in grocery stores all over the place - so much so that I was finding them in overstock dollar stores like 99 cents Only. As far as I know Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle' is not patented like S. 'Cobra's Nest' so there's nothing to keep other nurseries from propagating this plant.

Why are they going out of tc?! If i could get seeds i could keep them going :)

As Amph implied, seeds have nothing to do with this. Hybrids are an entirely different beast. You need a sterile culture to continue the line.

How do you know S. 'Judith Hindle' is no longer going to be under TC?? Link please.

The main source for TC 'Judith Hindle' has, in fact, discontinued it. I'm afraid they don't issue press-releases Joossa, but I can tell you that I received the last 2 trays that they plan to produce.

S. June Bug seem hard to find, what is a typical price for one if someone manages to find a good sized specimen? Also, what about S. Ritchie Bell? Flies Demise?

As a retailer, I have seen very little interest in the UNC 'Bug' series. Also, since they are such fast-growing plants, the difference between a tiny division of a S. 'June Bug' and a good-sized plant is a couple years, tops. IMHO, Sarracenia cultivars (aside from a select few) are not a cash-crop.

back2eight said:
Now that Judith Hindle is not going to be mass marketed by TC anymore, what do you think is going to happen to these plants? They've been very cheap, but I bet they go up in price as they are become harder to find.

I don't anticipate a big price jump. You just won't find it @ Home Depot, Safeway & Lowes anymore.

The owners of Judith Hindle have demanded more royalty for each sale so Ag3 is not producing them anymore. I don't know of anywhere else that is producing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Judith Hindle' divides enough that anyone who wants one can get it from another hobbyist. I didn't think that the demand for them was that great anyways.

Judith Hindle was somewhere around $10 for a pot of it (that had 2 plants actually in there!) a year or two ago at a grocery store here and almost nobody touched them because they fit them in with the orchid sales, so I seriously doubt that it will become scarce.

Well, Kristi, I have to disagree with most of the people here. I LOVE the bug series. I would say, depending on crown size, $7 for small, $12 for medium, $15 for large or something like that.

There are a few bug series that are not often seen for sale widely like flies demise, june bug, and ritchie bell. I was wondering how much those usually run when someone can find them available because I have been looking for a june bug for a while and can't find it. Was wondering what is a fair price for these 3 that seem fairly hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kristi,
I should be able to divide my June Bug, and possibly Flies Demise. I haven't really checked them out yet. I'm hoping to move my plants back outside this week sometime, and hopefully divide a bunch next weekend.

Well, I bought Richie Bell direct from Larry Mellichamp, the curator of these cultivars, a nice sized clump for $15.
I received a free Flies Demise from someone else in the hobby, not on TF but I won't say the name.

Back