What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rainforest (warning: pic heavy)

My wife & I spent most of the previous week on a long-overdue vacation in Puerto Rico. The better part of two days of this were spent in El Yunque. I took almost 400 pics during our vacation and the vast majority were within this rainforest. Needless to say, I've attempted to whittle the number down (but probably still have far too many that I am including - my apologies). I have been here previously but managed to drop my camera in one of the many creeks (while it was opening) so these are the first pics that have made it home.

Here's a view of the canopy, showing some huge treeferns and others:
elYunque-canopy-treefern-birdRS.jpg

Sometimes the canopy would open and allow us a view of the mountains we were hiking:
elYunque-jaggedmtnsRS.jpg

A few of the trails:
elYunque-trail1RS.jpg

elYunque-trail2RS.jpg

A pretty little creek:
elYunque-smallcreekRS.jpg

The same little creek from a different angle - to show the round little ferns on the right part of the foreground:
elYunque-smallcreek2RS.jpg

The understory (yes - several of these look suspiciously like they are focusing on epiphytes - but hey - there are lots of epiphytes 8^) )
elYunque-understory7RS.jpg

elYunque-understory6RS.jpg

elYunque-understory4RS.jpg
elYunque-understory3RS.jpg

.... and now for the epiphytes:
elYunque-epiphytes1RS.jpg
elYunque-epiphytes2RS.jpg

elYunque-epiphytes5RS.jpg
elYunque-epiphytesmoss2RS.jpg

Some of the critters - first two of the ubiquitous lizards (anoles?)
elYunque-lizardbarkRS.jpg

elYunque-lizard-LaMinaFallssouthRS.jpg

.... and an iguana (not in the rainforest - but probably the best place to throw it in)
LasCabezasdeSanJuan-iguanainundergrowthRS.jpg

.... and a walking stick (spotted by my wife while she was waiting for 1) the rain to slow & 2) me to get done snapping pics of moss/vines/fungi/etc...)
elYunque-walkingstick-insectRS.jpg

.... a species of tree snail. The scale on these guys was difficult to show but the shells are around 3" and the eye-stalks are >1" - - so pretty good sized slime-makers .... :-O
elYunque-treesnailRS.jpg

elYunque-treesnail2RS.jpg

... transitioning away from the rainforest - here's a heron on the flats behind a small reef (over which the waves are breaking in the background)
LuquilloBeachheroninsidereefRS.jpg

At a nature reserve called Las Cabezas de San Juan (not near San Juan btw ??? ), there was a place they called the 'Stone Beach' where there were both volcanic rocks and sandstone. The sandstone was more jagged than my mind would allow me to grasp:
LasCabezasdeSanJuan-sandstoneonbeachRS.jpg

I'll finish with a few tourist pics from Old San Juan. The 1st two are from El Morro and the second is from San Cristobal (not that it matters a lot for these pics):
ElMorro-garitaRS.jpg

ElMorro-wallviewRS.jpg

SanCristobal-windowRS.jpg

As a footnote - in the past, I traveled to the island for work, and as was the standard, I stayed in the big hotels around San Juan or other walled resort enclaves. I also listened to many derogatory stories about the PR natives and the dangers outside the enclave walls from engineers assigned to local projects at some of our manufacturing facilities. On this trip, my wife requested that we stay someplace outside the big luxury hotels and try to experience as much as possible from the local perspective. We stayed at a small hotel on Luquillo Beach and ate in small restaurants frequented by the locals. We had an absolutely fantastic time and a much better experience than any of my previous trips when I stayed in opulence .... Go figure :boogie:

you know what i'd do if i were combing for epiphytes: orchids and utrics! :-D

boo on dropping the camera. beautiful pics, sure seems like you two had a great time!

Wow, nice! I haven't been to Puerto Rico since I was very, very little... greatly looking forward to my next trip to Latin America. Thanks for sharing. :)
~Joe

AWESOME! :-O

Really beautiful, I'd like to go there someday.....

oh my.... very nice mate, momma was right to get ya off the beaten path.... (man I was close huh LOL)

looks like a great adventure indeed!

Oh very nice! Did you make it to Arecibo too?

Wonderful pictures! I've never been to Puerto Rico, this is inspiring. I love seeing pictures of jungles no matter what.

It's good to hear that going away from the resorts was a much more enjoyable and hospitable experience. Thanks for sharing!

The rainforest is a very encouraging sight to see.

Thanks all for the kind comments. We really took our time walking the trails and I felt like I was in Nirvana with every step. Any direction I turned was cool stuff - like being in some figment of my imagination or something - really amazing!
you know what i'd do if i were combing for epiphytes: orchids and utrics! :-D
I checked before I left and there are no Orchidioides found in PR. However, once there, I realized how tough it would be to actually find them. How the heck do you find anything if it's not in flower? I saw all kinds of stuff that looked like U. alpina or U. jamesoniana leaves or possibly - cool orchids - but without flowers ..... :scratch: Heck - on an epiphyte-covered tree trunk, it was not easy to differentiate vines, utrics, ferns or orchids (although utrics don't count here since they are only on other islands) - but there are lots of green things that have potential ... ???
boo on dropping the camera. beautiful pics, sure seems like you two had a great time!
The camera drop was the last time I was down - probably 8-10 years ago. I didn't turn this one on until I had the leash secured on my wrist ... :-O

oh my.... very nice mate, momma was right to get ya off the beaten path.... (man I was close huh LOL)
Yup! :banana2:
Oh very nice! Did you make it to Arecibo too?
No - I had target destinations in the Northwest (Arecibo area), Northeast, Southwest & Southeast. I never expected to make it to all of them but we really only got to the Northeast since we decided to spend some additional time in the rainforest and a day playing around on the beach. While I didn't have much interest in Arecibo to be honest, the area nearby has a bunch of very interesting-sounding places to explore - - plenty of cool places to hike & caverns to check out - as well as wild coastline to wander.

The southeast had a butterfly sanctuary that sounded very interesting but when we called for reservations, they only spoke Spanish ... :cry: (my bad as an ugly mainlander). However, I really wanted to see the dry forest down in the Guanica reserve - but it was ultimately too far away ... :censor:

It's good to hear that going away from the resorts was a much more enjoyable and hospitable experience. Thanks for sharing!
Yup - quite unexpected on my part (my bad as an ugly (& stupid) mainlander).

The rainforest is a very encouraging sight to see.
It appears that PR has done a fantastic job in preserving this forest for the future. There are no through roads and much of the preserve has no roads at all. .... and the reserve is large. Here's a map - the big green thing on the right is the rainforest national forest. In addition, all of the locals seem to have a very intense national pride in El Yunque. I suspect there would be some serious problems if a politician with ties to big business ever tried to exploit it ... :0o:

See any tarantulas?

Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm totally envious. It would be great to go off the beaten path.

Looks like a great place to wander!

I know it's bad to say but the temptation to bring home small cuttings of all those epiphytes & mosses to try in terrariums would be so hard to resist!

very nice!
I love all the epiphytes everywhere.:0o:
Never being out of the US proper mice elf, this makes me want to think about it!

:love:
While I was born and raised in Florida, I *am* Puerto Rican and do have a very deep sense of "home" of the place. The pictures brought tears to my eyes...it's been ten years since I was there last...
I will say, the stories you've heard aren't farfetched- there are absolutely bad areas and bad groups, but like anywhere else, not *everyone* is bad, sad to say but one of my cousins down there is exactly the kind you've been warned about :0o:. But locals can be very warm and welcoming, as well- I developed an entire second family last time I was there when I stayed with mi abuela- all of her neighbors just adored me- they taught me Spanish, taught me how to Merengue...staying and dining in the humbler places definitely allows for a more authentic experience, a more true taste of the lifestyle. (Oh, isn't the food to die for? Especially fresh fruit- mangoes, quenepas, and guanabana... :drool:)

Anyway, I'm just reminiscing- I'm glad you were able to experience it and have such a lovely time! Thanks to sharing the pictures :-D

WOW, beautiful pictures! Your pictures looks like they came right out of a spread in National Geographic magazine. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Back