What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some new plants:
2 Sarracenia purpurea. Looks like the rhizome was buried as the stem on the pitchers and the rhizome is completely pink, but I'm sure they will redden up very quickly.
34ru0cx.jpg

3 Drosera adalae (top middle) small, but sundews are weeds aha
2 Dionaea B52 plantlets (top right). I also stripped of a leaf when I was potting it up and decided to see if it roots. Probably won't but ohh well.
2 Filiformis tracyi (Bottom right, in bottom left side of pot) taking the place of my old one :D
200tojo.jpg

Finally a pitcher from the purpurea. It was already almost broken off so I cut it off just to make it look nicer.
5u20sy.jpg

Yeah, that's a N. ventricosa for sure... well for almost certain.

There is something wrong there with the N. sanguinea. Probably either pests or root rot or something. I would suggest making another thread and ask the experts for suggestions as to what it could be.

I think, alternatively, that your sanguinea had a mutation in the growth tip, making all the growth after that point funky as it is. Seriously. Root rot or pests wouldn't cause this. Looks like your still getting significant "healty" growth, only it's deformed. No leaf elongation (mutation in the leaf elongating gene). Maybe if you cut off the weird growth below were it started, normal growth will come from the "non-mutant" tissue at the base.

Yeah, I seriously think that's what it is. I'm taking a genetics course right now, which obviously makes me an authority:p

So the adalaea that I recieved seems to be dying. Hopefully it will grow back from the roots or maybe from a lower point on the stem. Probably my fault for putting it in full blast sun.

The smaller purpurea I recieved is getting this weird brown color, but it's also turning red at some points, hopefully it pulls through:
2gxp72e.jpg

The other purpurea seems to be taking a liking to it's new environment. Making it's beautiful red color.
vhgdwy.jpg

Finally my Drosera Spathulata starting to show it's red color from being in full sun.
2i6ymwp.jpg

You can also see on the left the Filiformis tracyi and B52 that I got. The tracyi is putting out some new leaves which from my experiences with them they usually don't produce dew on leaves that were there before being shipped, however they start to thrive after they send out new leaves.

The B52 seems to be doing well, I already fed one trap yesterday and it closed very quickly. Also the leaf that I pulled looks the same as when I pulled it, still has a very bright green at the base so who knows maybe it will root.

New plants arrived today, got my doreen's colossus so I'm down to finding an Okee giant and then I will be set for this year.

Anyway here's two bare root shots. Interestingly it had new growth points sticking off the rhizome almost looked like teeth(Might have to zoom in to see them):
ru17pl.jpg

And other side showing main growth point:
2pyx06u.jpg

All potted up:
2hi05zq.jpg

And the nursery also gave me a free plant my choice of a typical VFT, pigmy sundew, or cape sundew. Here's the VFT I chose:
vmx6yc.jpg

And potted up:
1fe5vb.jpg

It's my biggest flytrap I have. Surprising for a free plant!

Anyway thanks for looking. Flavas are putting out some pitchers so I will probably update sometime next week with some photos of those.

Just a few photos from today. A lot is starting to grow now only thing I haven't seen any sign of new growth from is my Leucophylla titan.

First diana's delight starting to send up new pitchers. I have high hopes for this plant, if it gets anything the size of the pitcher it had when I got it from my local nursery I will be satisfied.
2e3cw15.jpg

Flava #1 sending up a new pitcher. It is starting to send up more from other spots.
2ugiioy.jpg

Flava #2 sending up a bunch of new pitchers. Not as tall as the other one though. No flowers from these guys this year I guess.
35hreax.jpg

My purpureas are looking miserable but they are both starting to show signs of life. First one is putting out a new leaf finally. The other one looks a little bit better and I can see a new leaf starting to push itself out of the dormant buds sarracenia form but it is hard to see so I don't have a photo
2uqhor4.jpg

Doreen's Colossus putting out a flower. I have high hopes for this plant :D.
aem9u1.jpg

Sarracenia Alata(?) putting out some new pitchers. I don't like alatas but it was the only plant that survived an outdoor winter last year, it's a tough plant so I'm going to keep it :D
f3ub76.jpg

Filiformis tracyi and Filiformis "all red". Not much to say they are growing :p
IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Three Filiformis "Florida Giant" buds on the left, a Dente Flytrap on the right (from DJ57 Thanks!). The Flytrap also is planted in the same pot as my Drosera binata multifida "extrema", however that has died down to the roots, and admittedly I keep uprooting them out of impatients, which probably broke off some of the new growth. So in order to stop that I put the flytrap in the pot so I don't get the urge to unpot them. If I do I would probably be hurting the flytrap which I don't want to do.
IMG_1915.jpg

Red Dragon Flytrap. Hard to see the tiny new growth point so I circled it.
IMG_1916.jpg

Typical Flytrap putting out new leaves.
IMG_1917.jpg

B-52s plus a Filiformis "Florida giant".
IMG_1918.jpg

Nepenthes truncata, Drosera Spatulata and Drosera Capensis. The Truncata is the only nepenthes I have that isn't reacting to the direct sunlight or the cold nights.
IMG_1919.jpg

Nepenthes sanguinea being weird as always. I might repot it into peat/perlite.
IMG_1920.jpg

Nepenthes Miranda. For how "easy" these are supposed to be it really spazzes out when I put it outside.
IMG_1922.jpg

Nepenthes Ventricosa. The cold weather didn't effect it as much as my miranda.
IMG_1924.jpg

Last edited:
:-D All your plants looking good! I am confident your binata will come back, just may be later in the spring/early summer depending on temps. I have had them pop back up in the middle of summer after I thought they were gone and planted other things around them. It does not take much of a root for these guys to grow.

Can't wait to see pics of your plants later in the growing season.

:-D All your plants looking good! I am confident your binata will come back, just may be later in the spring/early summer depending on temps. I have had them pop back up in the middle of summer after I thought they were gone and planted other things around them. It does not take much of a root for these guys to grow.

Can't wait to see pics of your plants later in the growing season.

Yeah I'm very excited about the Florida giants you sent me. I love dewthreads they are such good sundews for me.

Some new photos.

S. x "Doreen's Colossus"
IMG_1933.jpg

S. Purpurea with some small, but new growth
IMG_1934.jpg

S. "Extreme Green", D. Filiformis Tracyi, D. Filiformis "All Red". Both drosera had old leaves killed from some cold weather a few weeks back but they are growing back now.
IMG_1935.jpg

S. Purpurea, VFT "Dente", and maybe you can see the few D. Spatulata growing in with the vft.
IMG_1936.jpg

VFT "Akai Ryu", VFT typical, VFT "B52", and some D. Filiformis "Florida Giant", which this hard working dewthread is quickly becoming my favorite sundew.
IMG_1937.jpg

2x S. Flava, S. Leucophylla "Titan", and S. "Diana's Delight". The latter two not doing too much.
IMG_1938.jpg

S. Alata/Rubra, S. Minor "Okee Giant", D. Capensis, D. Spatulata (which are spreading to my other pots for the first time in 3 years)
IMG_1939.jpg

N. Miranda. Was getting tired of waiting so I cut it off after almost all of it browned up but there seems to be something black growing, or maybe it's just blackened growth, but I potted it up anyway lets see what happens.
IMG_1940-1.jpg

Just coming back growing season is right around the corner and I am super excited. Anyway since last time all of my nepenthes died. I forgot to bring them in one night and they got frozen and all died :( I'm not too upset though because they took up a lot of space and seemed to prefer conditions I couldn't provide all of the time.

Anyway nothing much so far, here is my most impressive plant right now, my bigger sarracenia purpurea:
IMG_2005.jpg

Next we have my sarracenia Okie Giant, didn't grow to well last year but it's alive and the crown looks pretty good from what I see. In the center is what used to be my drosera spatulatas. I read they can survive temperate conditions so I figured don't really mind if I lose them why not try. There are definately sundews growing in there now, not sure if any of them are spatulata's though, one of them is a filiformis for sure. And finally in the square pot is what used to be a drosera capensis. It looks like it was another casualty :(. Never grew that well for me though, was very picky.
IMG_2006.jpg

Next is my pots of VFTs, some filiformis species, and in the bottom right is the other purpurea I had. All the VFT's look really good, I don't think you can really see them they are in the ground a bit. The Drosera filiformis (all are Florida giants) all look great, they have little green hybernicula. The purpurea has been struggling since last summer. We had very little rain last year so a few of my pots dried out, and that was one of them. Not sure if it's going to make it but I'm trying because if I can get another one like the picture earlier I would be really happy.
IMG_2007.jpg

Now my prized sarracenias, I LOVE flavas. In the front middle is my doreen's colossus, looks great, very happy it pulled through because it was absolutely amazing last year, and the two in the back are plain flavas, they are filling up the pots very nicely. I counted 3 flower buds on each of the flavas and 1 on my doreen's colossus.
IMG_2008.jpg

Finally we have a sarracenia "extreme green", looks great, and in the square pot next to it is two drosera filiformis, one is a tracyi, and one is an all red. One of them doesn't look like it survived, not sure which one it is yet.
IMG_2009.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Nice Purp! is that the same one from last year that had been planted too deep?

Nice Purp! is that the same one from last year that had been planted too deep?

Yeah, looking back at how miserable it looked 11 months ago it's really come a long ways.

Some more interesting photos this time.

IMG_2021.jpg

TOP LEFT: My typical fly trap died off, using the pot for a filiformis tracyi and two dichotoma giants.
TOP CENTER: Red dragons coming back strong.
Bottom left: A filiformis Florida giant and the B52s coming back. They are really small though
Bottom center: A bunch of Florida giants, these were the sundews I least expected to come back but all of them made it.
Bottom right: S. Purpurea struggling, it's only got green by the very center of the plant.
IMG_2020.jpg

Here I have some unknown sundews growing. They were originally in the country crock but I pulled them out and put them in their own pot. Not sure what they are really, they are all red, and also wrap around their prey, which I was under the impression that filiformis species don't do that. Maybe a hybrid? These things are still popping up in my country crock pot too.
IMG_2019.jpg

Here is another filiformis growing in the country crock, this one looks a bit different it's not completely red like the others, and it doesn't wrap around it's prey. If you look hard enough you can see more of the red ones in there.
IMG_2018.jpg

S. Purpurea, the healthy one. Kinda weird I always thought plants turned more red when they got more sunlight, but these are turning greener and you can now see the veins. It looks like it has two crowns now. Very pretty plant.
IMG_2017.jpg

D. Filiformis "All red" seems to be struggling. It's growing new leaves but they don't get very tall, maybe just have to wait a bit longer. Oh and all those little red specks in the peat are more of these unknown drosera growing. They are everywhere.
IMG_2016.jpg

Finally my two S. Flavas and doreen's colossus. I love the flowers they are really cool, and I got the pitchers coming up quickly behind them.

things are waking up nicely!

IMG_2044.jpg

Top left - S. Flava
Top right- Doreen's Colossus
Bottom Left- S. Leucophylla "Hurricane Creek White"
Bottom Right- S. Flava

The flavas are about the same height as the Doreen's Colossus (a little shorter) but the Doreen's Colossus has pitchers twice as wide

IMG_2046.jpg

Doreen's Colossus.

IMG_2045.jpg

S. Extreme Green putting out some twisted pitcher growth. In the square pot is some D. Spatulatas and D. Filiformis "All Red"

IMG_2047.jpg

S. Purpurea. The red pitchers down below are from last year. I thought they were pretty big but these new pitchers are twice as big.

IMG_2048.jpg

D. Binata "Dichotoma Giant" and D. Tracyi.

IMG_2049.jpg

D. Tracyi x Filiformis. The green flytrap is a B52 and the red fly traps in the top row are red dragons. In the very far right below the brown pot is the S. Purpurea that got it's growth point eaten, I'm still hoping for the best.

IMG_2050.jpg

S. Minor "Okee Giant". You can't really see it too well but at the very bottom left of the crown you can see a new pitcher finally growing. Also there is a new pitcher on the other side of the plant but I didn't really want to take two photos of it :p.

In the Country Crock is a random D. Filiformis that was popping up all over my pots. I sent a few to DJ57, we aren't sure what they are but one thing is for sure they get really really red. Almost a hot pink color.

IMG_2051.jpg

Lastly in the square pot is a S. Flava Rupricorpa "best clone" or something like that. I think it's a seeding cross but I haven't really looked lol.

Also I have a S. "Leah Wilkerson" but the one pitcher it had open blew over because of the browning it got from being filled with bugs. The other pitcher didn't really develop, however it's sending up a new pitcher at this moment so I will put up a photo when that develops :D.

Thanks for looking.

sss your flavas are amazeballs!!! :)

Some new photos:

S. Leucophylla Hurricane Creek White Clone E from Michael Wang. No pitchers yet unfortunately, just been growing non carnivorous leaves, hopefully I'll get some stunning late season pitchers :D
auv39x.jpg

S. Flava var Rubricorpora L x Best Clone from Michael Wang. Getting a little bigger maybe next year this thing will size up to my other flavas :D.
v8jy39.jpg

My flavas were amazing earlier this season but my purpurea is quickly becoming my favorite. Pitchers have doubled in size since last year.
2uyk96t.jpg

e13rs8.jpg

And finally I have a few pitchers to show off my S. "Leah Wilkerson"
eldt1z.jpg

Also right next to that is a Nepenthes I found at my local nursury sitting in their green house next to the dying venus fly traps :(. I don't really care too much for nepenthes anymore but figured I would save this one. Not sure what kind it is but it's inflating two pitchers so I'll have an idea soon enough.

On a side note, looking at my flavas in that last picture they may need to be repotted next year LOL. Maybe.

Last edited:
Gotta love them purps, haha. As for repotting the flava...you think? :-D

Visited a greenhouse about an hour and a half away from my house that had a huge CP collection.

A nepenthes tray. Never seen anything like this in real life it's kinda cool looking. These plants were hard to get apart :p
FYOD0iN.jpg

Some sarracenia, vfts, and butterworts:
WzHcxHB.jpg

Some more:
m8EO70C.jpg

Another table full of CPs. No close ups but you got more nepenthes, vfts, sarracenia, butterworts and sundews
0RIlk4T.jpg

And finally the reason I came :D. Hanging nepenthes baskets:
sG0AWHe.jpg

By the way, the owner Ted, really nice guy. Really loves his plants.

Back