What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slowly getting back into the game.

So I am slowly getting back into it after moving 2400 miles and having to leave my plants behind. I have a dormant Venus Fly Trap and a dormant Sarracenia. The rest in the pic are just some perennial flowers we are growing from seed.

2011-04-18_18-35-21_850.jpg

Should I keep the greenhouse zipped shut? I am in Washington State now.

2011-04-18_18-35-32_164.jpg

My lonely Carnivours haha

2011-04-18_18-36-44_110.jpg

My side of the yard. It is on the East side of the house.

Hopefully you can rebuild your collection. :) I would keep it shut for right now since your in WA. It's still cold there right? Like lower than the 60s during the day?

i would not leave the cover on that...
i used to have the exact same minigreenhouse/growrack which i now use as shelving lol
but anyway when the sun hits that thing it will very quickly heat up to 100+ degrees

Yeah it was 53 and sunny today.

Think it gets that hot right now SirKristoff? You don't mean leave it off completely do you?

In the Summer you will have one heck of a time keeping that thing cool once it starts getting in the upper 60s to 70s i would take the plastic comepletly off because i have temps in the 80s right now and if i have it closed it gets over 100 degrees in their and same thing if i leave it unzipped. It's best to leave the plastic off during the Summer.

well now its probably ok... but keep an eye on it, but yeah when the sun hits it, man will it steam up...
i walked into my cold frame GH today and even at 55 outside, when the sun hit it directly, without ventilation and a fan going, it was 80 or so.

See me and Sirkristoff have experienced the wrath of heat.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

It's good to have during the winter but NOT DURING SUMMER period.

Ahhh ok. Gotcha. I was worried about them getting cold at night right now.

EverDave, I like your setup! I probably wouldn't worry too much about them getting too cold right now. Mine have been surviving outside for a few months and they don't have nice covered shelves like that =)

Thanks :) I am using the bucket/t-shirt method to capture clean rainwater for my future CP's

Great that should work out to since your in WA.! :)

Connecting rain barrels to your houses gutters that come down is really useful also a quarter of a inch of rain can ussualy fill up a 55 gallon rain barrel.

If that sees any direct sun during the day you need to leave one side of the greenhouse partially unzipped, otherwise the temperature fluctuations will do your dormant plants in well before they have a chance to chill to death. The problem with these miniature rigs - besides the fact that they die after a couple years in direct sun - is that they have no vent at the top to let out excessively hot air.
~Joe

Roger! I gotcha. I thought about putting a vent in it. Not sure it is possible.

Crazy question...Until I get some rain water, is it ok to use filtered water from my refrigerator?

Is it a fridge with a built-in filter? If so then maybe. But a Brita won't cut it and can actually raise the TDS of water (possibly not harmfully, but it can add carbon sediment as a result of the charcoal in the filter cartridges. When you come to visit sometime you can bring a sample of your tapwater and I'll check it with my TDS meter - I was surprised to learn that my tapwater had a TDS of about 30ppm.
~Joe

Yeah it is my fridge with built in system. I left you a message on the other post today. I was in Olympia tonight. Tried to catch up with you :)

Oh, sorry I missed you. I'm kind of busy in the upcoming week and my house is a total mess, but sometime in the near future I'll have things slightly less chaotic. I had to move furniture to have new cable jacks put in, and I'm trying to dig up old doctors' records for an upcoming orthopedics consult, and my computer is in pieces, and I'm assembling some electronics gadgets for a horticulture project my roommate is doing... so it's kind of like my belongings have thrown up on every surface of the apartment... :s
~Joe

I understand the word busy for sure :) No hurry, just let me know when you have time.

In regards to rain barrels... I have them on my home back in Indiana, but I am a renter here so not possible :(

Back