What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good desktop CP?

• Thread starter EverDave
  • Start date
I want to have a CP here at work. I do have some upper windows that let in light. What cp would you all recommend?

What direction is it facing? I would recomend a tropical for sure but the species and genus depend on how much direct sunlight and what direction does it shine in.

What direction is it facing? I would recomend a tropical for sure but the species and genus depend on how much direct sunlight and what direction does it shine in.

Agreed. My suggestion would be an easy Nepenthes or Mexican Pinguicula

Or possible Drosera. Depending on the experince or type of taste you have.

Or possible Drosera. Depending on the experince or type of taste you have.

You do realize that nearly all dews want full sun, correct?

The windows might not let in the good, intense sun (or hardly any sun at all) that most carnivorous plants want, so they may grow etiolated, not pitcher, not dew, etc. But if all else fails, get a Dracaena. :p

2011-04-19_11-16-11_617.jpg

It is an eastern window. Pic just taken at 11:20 am

Ok these are the plants that would do good in that window. Also about how many hours of direct sunlight does it recive?

If it gets 2-4 hours of direct sunlight a day these plants will do good there.

Nepenthes sanguinea
Nepenthes truncata
Nepenthes ventricosa

P. rotundiflora
P. rotundiflora

If it recives 4 or more hours of direct sunlight a day here are the plants that will do good there.

The same plants as above except add
Drosera adelae
Utrics

Hope this helps.

With that exposure (& the option to place the plants on the actual windowsill), you have your pick from various types of CP.

- Drosera - something like D. schizandra (or possibly one of the other sisters) under a dome. Many more would be happy on the windowsill itself (ie: D. binata, etc)
- Cephalotus
- Nepenthes - almost any of the easier species. A form of N. maxima pitchers year round on my east-facing windowsill and would probably enjoy being trained to grow around the window.
- Utricularia - many of the weedy utrics would do well - from the smaller species (U. livida, U. sandersonii, etc) to some a bit larger like U. tricolor, U. praelonga & U. longifolia. U. longifolia blooms for months on my east-facing windowsill and it looks like U. praelonga is joining the party this year.

I suspect some of the knowledgeable orchid folks could also be persuaded to give you a few recommendations for some floriferous companion plants...

You do realize that nearly all dews want full sun, correct?

The windows might not let in the good, intense sun (or hardly any sun at all) that most carnivorous plants want, so they may grow etiolated, not pitcher, not dew, etc. But if all else fails, get a Dracaena. :p

I meant tropical dews and i meant if it has the correct amount of sun.

I would love to try some sort of Nep. I love the way the pitchers look. I would say safely 2-4 hours of light, but it is Washington so hard to say really.

Drosera capensis is always a safe bet, although most Drosera do need full sun I've found capensis to be a real trooper.

These would do great for you.

Nepenthes sanguinea
Nepenthes truncata
Nepenthes ventricosa

P. rotundiflora
P. rotundiflora

Drosera adelae is probably your best sundew candidate in terms of tolerance and availability. If you can supplement the light with a desk lamp, a small Nepenthes might work, but it depends on what kind of air your office has - if it's air conditioned and dry that might not work out so well. Drosera binata forms could also be worth a try, but if they do actually succeed they'll be kind of leggy at best. Utricularia aren't very exciting, but an easy one like U. sandersonii would be pretty much a sure thing even without supplemental lighting.
I don't wish to contradict the others, but based on my own experiences with Pings in the area, and my roommate's attempt at growing them as windowsill plants, I can say that they probably aren't worth the risk.
~Joe

If you had another window you could grow more but because of the amount of ligh and the direction of it these are the best to use in your window.

It is air conditioned but not the best sometimes. It is the Army after all lol. Plus I can open the little sections in the windows a bit if needed. I just placed a sunflower seed up there. See how it does for the light.

Back