What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather rant

jonnyq

Supporter
ARG, I just figured this would be a good place to rant about the weather...

[rant]I'm up in Brooklyn, NY, and this weather has been absolutely KILLING me, or to be more accurate, it's slowly killing my garden... :p

It's now LATE April, and the weather seems to be bipolar, switching only between only two states:

1) 45 degrees, dark with heavy rain.
2) 65 degrees, full sun with incessant, day-long, plant-dehydrating, gale-force winds

Fantastic.

GRRR

There have already been a few casualties, lost a few bean plants, the tomatoes are struggling... (The cilantro seems to be toughing it out, much to my surprise). The outdoor cps are all slowly, SLOWLY coming out of dormancy... TOO slowly, if you ask me... Three of my smaller akai ryus appear to given up... I think one of my S. roseas (which came in fantastic condition from Meadowview) may not come out of dormancy at ALL...

I'd just like a mild spring to please commence...

*SIGH*
[/rant]

Sounds pretty mild to me....

Is it? Maybe it's just me, then... For late April I was kind of hoping for more of a steady 60-70, without these 15-20 degree daily fluctuations in day-to-day temperature, and with far less dry wind... :(

(On the other hand, I did say it was a rant.) :D

Still, point taken, point taken... :)

It's been 43F and switching between rain and snow here, with nights in the 30's.....not to mention the dry gale force winds.

Yikes... :(

So, I imagine that your frustration probably exceeds mine at this point...?

Updated: Oh, wow, you're right on the Canadian border... You must get a ton of precipitation being practically on the shore of Lake Ontario... Reminds of my undergrad days in Ithaca...

Yikes... :(

So, I imagine that your frustration probably exceeds mine at this point...?

Indeed.....living next to the lake is a curse as far as weather goes.

LOL. I'm expecting snow into mid May. And I just got a wind advisory for tonight and tomorrow. Ick.

Luckily, all my plants are indoors. ^.^

Tomatoes and beans?
when did you plant them? if you planted them in early April, you are a full two months too early!

In this climate, no one plants vegetables until Memorial day..thats a long established rule for the North East! :)
I havent even touched the vegetable garden yet..I will rototill it in Mid-may, then plant in late may..
(I suppose the NY city area is a *little* warmer than upstate NY, but not by much..
instead of Memorial day, you could maybe shoot for Mid-May for planting veggies)

The weather is perfectly normal for April..you simply planted things way too early! ;)

My Cps are also doing absolutely nothing..but again, thats normal for this time of year.
im not worried about them.

Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb and March are Winter.
April is the transitional month between Winter and Spring, its half and half.
Spring doesnt arrive "for real" until May...it will get here.

Scot

Last edited:
Someone at work hung up something like this the other day:

Loading.jpg

404 SPRING LOADING ERROR

The season you are trying to access is not available.
It may have been removed by the administrator.
Please check your calendar and try again.

We're getting snow again tonight as well... sigh.

Must've been misrouted - it's beautiful over here!
~Joe

Oh Swords! :-)) :-))

That is hilarious!

Yeah it's been about 45 degrees in the day down to 37 at night, with hail about once a day and heavy showers all the time. But that's just normal, it still feels nice to me.

I judge spring not on the temperature or weather but on the leaves that are emerging from the native plants. Right now I'd say it's just starting.

I can sympathize. Cold and wet here also, actually very wet. Localized flooding past few days, and possibly major runoff flooding from the mountains is anticipated in the coming weeks. And crap, snow expected this week, still. I hope spring isn't skipped. I love the mild temps of spring, and some years it goes from winter weather to summer blaze in a couple weeks time.

im 50 miles from the Canuck border......still a month before we put tomato plants in the ground.....month and a half almost till we plant cuke SEEDS into the ground.......only thing going in the ground right now might be potatoes, usually put them in Easter weekend......would think NY is a lil far north for any real gardening yet, we have killing frosts into the 3rd week of May here.......

Oh Swords!
That is hilarious!

It's someone from the post office in our building who posts funny stuff on the board every day. I work nights so I never see who puts em up but if I ever have foreign mail to do I take a long walk and check out the message board. I drew a single small grumpy face on one dry erase board back there years ago and now it's filled with cartoony faces nobody ever writes anything on it anymore just more faces pop up! LOL

The weather here's wonderful. I'm less than excited at the fact that there haven't been any April showers around here; I'm already running out of rainwater for the year.

It's unseasonably warm and dry here! We have been having 20C 68F for the past week. Unfortunately, we might be heading for a drought(!?), and the new water butt has ran dry :/ we only had 0.5" of rain last month, whereas we normally have around 4" at this time of year. April/May is usually the driest time here, but not THIS dry. Urgh, spending money on water goes nowhere here :/

Back