What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compacting Soil

gill_za

Never Knows Best
This maybe a silly noob question, but I'll ask it anyway :)

When you pro's setup your pots before planting the plant, how much are you compacting the soil? Are you pushing it in with hands/tools or just tap the pot with the soil on the ground?

Thank you.

This maybe a silly noob question, but I'll ask it anyway :)

When you pro's setup your pots before planting the plant, how much are you compacting the soil? Are you pushing it in with hands/tools or just tap the pot with the soil on the ground?

Thank you.

I just tap the the pot on the ground so stuff settles.

I just pat it down but I don't press it really at all. However I recommend potting with wet soils so when you water it the first couple of times it doesn't comress down an inch or tw below the pot rim

I blob it into the pot from a couple inches up, then water it to make it settle down. I never push down on the soil by hand so I don't accidentally break some roots or make the soil too dense (so the plant doesn't rot out if it's e.g. a nep like jacquelinae).

Thank you all for the replies.

Back