What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MH1

Smile, it makes people nervous :)
Hey all, I have a number of questions that I would like to be answered, and I have been saving them all up untill now. Just for you ;). I thought I wouldn't waste forum space with about 10 questions in a period of, like, a week. :p
Anyway, 5 problems/identifications!

1) My Nepenthes x Ventrata has been acting up. Possibly because I repotted it. Either that, or some kind of bug is attacking it. :-(
Recently, its pitchers have been doing THIS:
p1000632g.jpg

mainly, because when the pitcher develops, the lid opens premeturely, like THIS:
p1000693j.jpg

wheras just a while after repotting, it made THIS:
p1000692y.jpg

I don't know what is wrong. My first guess is just that it is just sulking after repotting (It got really cramped in a pot with another N. x ventrata, which is doing the same as this plant).
Not sure if it is related or not, but it is also releasing little droplets of what I THINK is nectar on it's main stem (?) and underside of its leaves:
p1000695.jpg
you can just see the two TINY glints on the leaf (it was hard to capture ???)
Am I panicing, or should I be worried? Is it just sulking, or is there something wrong? It is getting about 5 hours of direct sun, and the rest is strong indirect light. The humidity in my room is rather high (60% to 70%) and there is usualy a drop from 70F to 60F at night.

2) My freebie Darlingtonia (came free with a bigger Darlingtonia (BARGAIN)) has a weird mark on its forming pitcher:
p1000677h.jpg

I got it early spring, so I put the big one outside, and the small one inside, under lights, just incase a sudden frost was going to catch me by suprise and kill them prematurely. Anyway, I put it out recently, and a bit later on in the day, I noticed the mark. I would have thought that it would be too quick to get sunburn, so my guess is that it is some kind of pest... but maybe I'm wrong?
the whole pitcher:
p1000682g.jpg

the pitcher after it, which is different:
p1000680b.jpg

ant the newly coming pitchers on the bigger, unaffected plant (the camera wouldn't focus for me propperly >:/) :
p1000683qv.jpg

3) Right, my Drosera regia seedlings are getting a bit crowded, due to the fact that I sowed them really close together, thinking that they wouldn't germinate much, if at all. I also Naïvely let a Drosera capensis flower from just a few pots away, and then promply forgot to get rid of the stalk before the seed got out.
This is how they look now:
p1000671f.jpg

Do you think I should repot them, or do you think I should wait a bit? Is there a risk of sudden-regia-death? They are getting a bit crowded in there. It doesn't look like it in the photo, but there are around 27-30 plants in there. Help!? ???

Thanks for bearing with me, now, I have some plants from a garden centre I would like to have identified (if possible!). Please note, these are from England, so they might be different from the plants you find in the US!

4)
p1000676.jpg

5)
p1000689l.jpg

p1000690o.jpg

p1000691a.jpg

And just so this isn't all take and no give, some flowers:

Drosera adelae flowers
p1000699i.jpg

Utricularia longifolia
p1000655f.jpg

:awesome: phew, that took a while! Thanks for reading! It must have nearly been as much of an effort to read this as it was to write it all (hence why I have been putting this off for a while)!

The ventrata is just adjusting to being repotted, and the stuff on the leaves is just nectar...so it should be fine.

1.) It's probably just due to repotting. And it's just nectar on the leaves.

2.) The damage looks similar to when you over feed a plant, however that can't be the problem if the trap never opened. The deformed growth at the top does resemble pest damage, however, the incoming pitched appears to be in good health, so maybe there's not much to worry about? You'll need more input on that.

3.) One simple method of dealing with your cluttered D. regia seedlings would be to seal off the pot, package it carefully and ship it to me so that I can deal with it for you. ;)

No but seriously, I have no experience with this plant and as far as I know, over-coming the seedling life-span issue is still something that growers are working on. Hopefully some more experienced cultivators will pipe up.

4.) The Sarracenia appears to be S. "dana's delight"

5.) The Nepenthes is really throwing me for a loop. The redness of the leaves and darkness of the pitchers suggests that maybe there is some ramispina in it's lineage however, the hairs on the lid as well as leaf structure seems like tentaculata is most definitely a relative somewhere. It's a safe bet that there was a ventricosa somewhere along the line that made it all possible. But without a sure-fire label to ID it with, you may never know. Maybe someone else on the forums grows a plant that looks very similar to this?

My uneducated guess would be something along the lines of: N. [(ventricosa x ramisipina) x tentaculata]

But... ???

2) Um, nothing much else to report on it ??? it started making that pitcher pretty quickly after it arrived, so maybe it was frost damage from before? But when it arrived, there was no developing pitcher actually 'there'. I haven't noticed the same mark on the other developing pitcher either. No heat stress either, the temp where it was inside was around 65F. I just hope it isn't a pest, and that it doesn't spread. :/

3) I haven't really experienced any die-off yet, and they are probably the quickest growing sundews I have gotten from seed. So far, I haven't really found them to be that picky. Time will tell, though. :fingerscrossed:

5) my own guess was that it was a Nepenthes "black beauty", or possibly a Nepenthes "Rebecca Soper". Either way, I just hope it keeps the red leaves :scratch:

Back