What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contact dermatitis and Drosera (mildly icky photos)

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I spent all day yesterday at a bug fair in San Francisco potting up VFT's and 'dews for the kiddies. It was GREAT!

When I got home, I had the usual sunburn all over my topsides, and as I was treating it, I spotted a rash on the underside of my forearms. :0o: :glare: I had heard of others, some here in TF, that are allergic to sundew slime, and it has always made me itch before, but this is the first time I've seen a rash. I thought I'd share. :jester: If you look closely, you can see a couple of spots shaped like the leaves that put them there.

Sorry for the poor quality, camera-phones are hard to work with... and the big camera? fergeddaboutit. ;)

2b18b1c5.jpg

f4e39371.jpg

62834436.jpg

There were more on the other arm, but the pictures didn't come out. Good thing! :blush:

A word of caution (mostly aimed at myself): contact dermatitis, AKA skin allergies, should not be ignored or brushed aside. They can stay the same, they can even go away, but they can get worse. The next time I get slimed, there is a rather small chance that it may be worse. I guess this is where my rose-pruning gloves come in handy. :awesome:

<a href="http://www.activeforever.com/images/Product/medium/A12973.jpg">
bionicrosegloves.jpg
</a>

*Another note to self: Put latex gloves over the kidskin before monkeying in the bog! I have already wrecked one pair of these gloves. Guess how?

Last edited:
I get that from sundews too :( And my skin falls off if I try to wash dishes by hand, or use the wrong soap, or laundry detergent, or :blahblah9xm:

:cry:

I'm a bit allergic to nepenthes fluid... once I knocked a pitcher full of it on my arms when looking at a plant that arrived in the post. :/

I was allergic to loads of stuff when I was younger, and I always found that having a long, cool shower helps... as of course do hayfever tablets, and if you have an inhaler, that works a bit too! I know someone who just drinks coffee, and their reaction would stop ???. never worked for me but it might be worth a try too.

I hope the rash goes down soon! :)

I hope the rash goes down soon! :)

It's gone now. Nothing like a looong shower, lotion, and a looong-er nap overnight to cure many ills. ;)

And my plans for the day? Re-potting Pings. With gloves! :-O

ETA:
Kula, I've thought about all sorts of cool gloves with sleeves, but none of them fit my hands well enough to do tiny stuff like transplanting baby dews. Great gloves, though! These kidskin ones are the only ones with the correct finger lengths. And they are super comfy!

Back