What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often do you check yourr plants?

How often do you check your plants?

How often do you check on your plants?

I check on mine 2-3 times a day. I do it so many times because i like to check for birds or squirrels. Because this morning i went to go and check on them and all of my nice dewy leaves on my Drosera filiformis var. trayci were broken and chewed off so i am now keeping a eye out. Something else also pulled up all of my Drosera scorpiodes and now i have none. I also do it the first time of the day is to check on water trays. I live in Ga so it dries up in about 2-3 days in a pretty big water tray.

Last edited:
That's probably excessive :p

I check my indoor carnivores quickly on the way to give my orchids and neps a morning spray. My outdoor plants get a quick check every couple days for water levels (should really invest in larger trays). My cacti and succulents get a look once a week or so.

As often as I can. Usually once a day or every other day for outside plants. Once a day for inside. Even if it is to just look at them.

If they bring you joy, then I wouldn't say it's excessive.

Wow, I wish I had the time. I check anywhere from once a day to once every 3-4 days depending on how busy I am. At the moment, maybe about every other day, as working and being in school full time, I'm just not home to do much more than sleep. One thing I can say is it's almost like a nice surprise watering them after a busy week and seeing all the new growth, pitchers, etc.

Yeah, I'd check them every day if I could (which happens more then not)! The reality is that I only need to visit to water every 2-3 days depending on how hot it is out. This is all plants indoor and out. :grin:

I also agree that if you love the plants it is not excessive. I'm sure we all were in awe at one point or another with these plants and visited ours just as much.

I check mine twice a day: Once in the morning, once in the afternoon/evening. Mist them during those times and I like to look at what's new.

One reason i get to see them all the time is because i am 14 and i don't work or course (have a job) and i home school so that's why i get to check on them all the time. I don't think that is excessive. If you have the time. Plus yes i do want to enjoy my collection. I mean i have spent hundreds on the plants and supplies i have. So i don't just don't want to go and look at my expensive collection (not saying i am better than anyone) every 3-4 days i want to look at it and really appreciate the things that God has created.

Now I check in every few months. School can get in the way sometimes.

Once a day for my basement HL plants....twice for my bedroom plants....once for my outdoor plants....if it isn't pouring rain.

prolly average once a week.....10 days isnt unusual......this time of year i can go 14-20 days without looking at them......have lil interest in a hobby that requires daily attention, if i cant walk away for atleast 5 days its of no use to me.....neps arent that fast of growers anyway, doesnt do much good to look in on them every day....prefer walking in to something new to look at, actually having a chance of finding a new pitcher or the like....

morning and night to mqke sure they didnt wilt or anythiung since wilting is usuayl only a problem if it lasts several hours and then tissue death occurs

Phew... well, morning chores begin with (after putting coffee up) a quick-ish look at my 30 or so bonsai, maybe 5-10 minutes, then turn on the lights for the 10g CP terrarium, check on them about 5-10 minutes, adjust lid spacing if need be, then pour the coffee, mist the bonsai, pull the Nepenthes out of its cage (now has a fourth pitcher forming WHEE) and mist it, check on the cephs, then back into its cage. If I've got a few minutes before I have to leave and after I shower and check the boards, I'll take another quick look. When I get home from work, it's misting time for the bonsai and Nepenthes again, dinner, feed the fish, top off if required, spend a few minutes checking plants. Then I check again at night, maybe 15-20 minutes just looking. It's pretty amazing how fast some CPs do grow. For instance, a D. spatulata popped up two days after I set up the 10 and has popped up a new leaf fully, dew and all, every 3 days or so.

So, I guess I spend about an hour a day checking on my home plants, a few minutes here and there between tasks with my work plants. But, I have an advantage in that I just about never watch any TV, ever.

I dont have to check on them for several days at a itme though. i just fill the trays and the lights go on and off by themselves.. so now that they are in trays they can go like 5 days

I check mine twice a day: Once in the morning, once in the afternoon/evening. Mist them during those times and I like to look at what's new.

Ditto minus the misting. :)

I check mine over every day when it's roasting out to make sure all the swamp plants are sufficiently flooded, but otherwise if it's 70-75 F during the day I'll go half to full week between checking on anything. It's mainly just to water. I'll go through maybe once a month or every few months to cut dead leaves off too.

I check the few plants i have often, 4-5 times a day right now.it was more than that but less often the longer i have had them, but I am still pretty new to this stuff, and wanna make sure that my little carnies are doin allright.

I spray all my tanks everyday since some of them have critters in them who need to be watered, so I just do all the tanks before I leave for work. I "see" everything everyday but as far as actually inspecting each potted plant it would be weekly or bi weekly when I flush their pots. In my setups they don't go dry very quickly so excessive attention isn't needed, which is good cos I have other stuff I gotta do.

I do remember how it was when I first started with Nepenthes though, I could sit infront of my tanks and do nothing but just look at 'em all day long! :)

Every day.

It's hot now, so the plants need watering everyday. So yeah, everyday.

My indoor plants are in my bedroom, where I can see them from my bed or my desk. I stop and admire them several times a day. Don't know if that counts as "checking". :) Once a week I'll do a big watering, and that is usually sufficient.

Outdoor plants, maybe every 2 or 3 days. More often if it's hot out and the water trays dry out quickly.

Back