What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new pet! ^.^

So on Sunday I decided to get over my dislike of spiders and I went out and caught a jumping spider after reading how intelligent they are. I gave it a smaller brown spider to eat and it did. Now he is in my room chill in a Tupperware with a bottle cap for water and a twig on the gerund. I'll be putting some upright twigs in soon But I think I might sterilize them first so there aren't mites or anything even though this guy IS wild captured.. He is very interesting. So inquisitive for a bug. He like wanders and appears to be checking everything out. Also at night he goes to bed on the bottom of the twig at the edge of the container where he is snug between the twig and the tupperware lip since it is indented there. Pretty neat. Haven't gotten around to touching him yet as for me he is a big spider. A little less than an inch from back of abdomen to tip of head but I never ever liked spiders. I'll prob start handling the baby jumpers before this guy. I saw his fangs and they kinda bugged me out a big last night lol. I also don't want to be jittery and fling it if it jumps or even bites while handle it so I'll leave it alone.

After seeing it hunt, I have to get a couple more so I can feed them different times since these don't build webs or anything hunting and searching is the only fun thing to watch them do but I have learned you only feed them one cricket once a week..

So that's my new bug :awesome:

Cool. I like jumping spiders. When I was a kid, we would catch a ton of spiders and put them in the same jar to see which ones would eat each other. Jumpers were somewhere in the middle if I recall. So be careful which type of spider you put in there or you may end up with a new pet. I guess size probably matters too though so as long as it's smaller your probably safe. Not that I know a thing about spiders to begin with. LOL.

Congrats on your new pet, jumping spiders are awesome. Some can bite, so handling them is probably not a good idea. The might also jump off your hands and escape.

Sweet! My daughter (6 almost 7) just rescued an little one (about 3/8 inches) from the garage this morning. Jumping spiders are really cool.

My experience with jumping spiders is that they're a very docile spider, and rarely, if ever prone to bite. They're a lot of fun and my far mt favorite spiders. Congratulations on getting over you fear.

I've got one living on my x catesbei and another living with my cephs in the HL GH. I always try to get a pic of them, but they're just so darn skittish and fast.
At least my tarantulas are nice and chill.

! I'll post some pics so someone can ID him for me I'm thining p. Regius but not sure. And ya I saw hisfangs. Tiny but bigger than I thought. Not planning on holding him ;)

he is my introduction to spiders and t's. Scorps I like alot want to get another emp. My last one lasted a year only :/

I'll post a video to YouTube today and some pics. Is feeding it a cricket once a week good or should I do twice a week? I'll post a video of him eating too when I feed him next

Crickets would be like feeding a mack truck to a mouse. You may have to resort to fruit flies.

I'm not a big fan of spiders that can jump/move faster than I can react. [Which is pretty much ALL spiders.] But you made it sounds so cute I actually looked up jumping spiders. They're kind of adorable in still frame! Looking forward to the pics!

Mass the spider is as big as my pinkie nail and the crickets are the same size if not a bit smaller.. Also I heard they can take on prey twice their size. I want more if anyone has any jumpers. Eventually (soon) I plan in getting some t slings

! I'll post some pics so someone can ID him for me I'm thining p. Regius but not sure. And ya I saw hisfangs. Tiny but bigger than I thought. Not planning on holding him

Unless someone happens to be familiar with the spider (or you have good luck and it is easily IDed), it'll be tough to ID beyond family. Post some pics though and I can probably at least give you a general age and gender (assuming it's not a juvenile).

While Salticids (jumping spiders) don't make a catching web, like all other spiders they do spin silk. You'll notice that it'll probably make a hide out of silk at some point. If in a large enough container you may notice it do some really cool acrobatics involving using an anchor line (dropped before jumping) and modifying their trajectory.

If you have the ability, you should try to look at the chelicerae (the little appendages on the front of the spider's face that hold the fangs) as in a number of Salticids these can be really cool shimmering/metallic colours.

My experience with jumping spiders is that they're a very docile spider, and rarely, if ever prone to bite. They're a lot of fun and my far mt favorite spiders. Congratulations on getting over you fear.

Same here, Salticids are definitely my favorite.

Last edited:
Back