What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God is coming back

• Thread starter eou812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just forget the whole thing.

Last edited:
I will bite my tongue on this matter, but let me share a little lesson I learned the hard way.

You are on a discussion forum.
By making this post, it is open for everybody.
It's very hypocritical to do so, and then decide who can and cannot be included in said discussion. Who are you to decide who is and is not with valid opinion/point.

Furthermore, as a general...erm, ettiquite, there are two things you should never mention in public / out of place: politics and religion. To do so is asking to open "Pandora's Box".

I DON'T WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A RELIGION THING.

Too late! :lol:
By your own quote, only the Father knows. So what makes you so sure? Nations war with each other constantly; earthquakes happen all the time. I've heard much more reliable-sounding predictions and they didn't come true (obviously.) How do you even know that the end times will be an actual date, and not some metaphysical event that humans aren't even capable of imagining?
There's a group advertising the end of days (May 21st, according to them) on the back of Seattle buses. I saw this while I was waiting for my leg surgery yesterday and it made me giggle:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/10_08/b4167070046047.htm
The truth is that people have been predicting doomsday for longer than recorded history and it's never been a reality-changing, spiritual thing. I'm sure some folks have predicted the end of their town/nation/culture, perhaps in a great cataclysm, but that can be explained through sheer numbers alone - if you flip a coin enough you're bound to guess it right some of the time.
There's a whole (scientific) study of prophesying, and if you appreciate the Bible, I suggest you inform yourself on it. I'd look up the name but it's in one of my history-of-science books that's on the top shelf of my bookcase and rather inaccessible with my leg all bound up. There are a lot of people who will use your love of Christ to take advantage of you, so you really need to be informed if you want to sort through all the BS.
For me, the Oracle of Google is more than enough:
future_timeline.png

:D
~Joe

No, antichrist comes well before the actual day. That's one part of the end-times that's fairly cut-and-dry so far as I understand.
~Joe

I'll just throw out dec 21, 2012 too while we are at it. Maybe the Mayan's knew all along ;)

Kidding aside, eou, to state an opinion as fact in the manner you have done isn't very P.C. and shows a bit of disrespect to others who may not necessarily agree or have the same faith as you. Just my 2 cents.

Btw, what happens in 2068-2069 is rlly funny :-))

I like the parts where dogs learn to drive cars and Japan becomes an entirely robot nation. I wonder if I can become a cyborg and emigrate. XD
~Joe

ehhh... just last week I stupidly allowed myself to pulled into a religious discussion with a creationist at work... I still can't believe that people like that work in a science industry... beeeah fanaticism...

I don't mind discussing creationism. If interpreted with proper context, it doesn't need to conflict with known science at all. It's when people start opposing it to "Darwinism" (a total misnomer, BTW) that things get ridiculous. As someone who seems to support the scientific hypothesis, the best thing you can do is refrain from being critical of the faith of others. If you tell them they're flat-out wrong, you're just going to alienate and polarize them, and that's how we get absurd violations of reasoning like Louisiana teaching intelligent design.
~Joe

WTB new terra-forum rule: no politics and no religion. NOTHING good comes from these types of discussions. They only divide people that otherwise share a common interest.

Depends on who's participating. I've had some great discussions with swords and others. But I know what you're getting at.
~Joe

@physalaemus: not necessarily...sometimes its good to talk about these things, and understand that there is something beneficial in understanding that the world is bigger than your own presuppositions...that being said, there is DEFINITELY a RIGHT and WRONG way to do it.... a 13/14 year old facilitating a discussion like this is, especially since, not to harp on 13-14 year olds, but they know so little about the world around them (take Osama for example)----eh, you know where im going with my train of thought.... it could be done better. much MUCH better.

Actually... I don't quite know where you're going with your train of thought. Osama was pretty old. ???
~Joe

WTB new terra-forum rule: no politics and no religion. NOTHING good comes from these types of discussions. They only divide people that otherwise share a common interest.

+1

@seedjar: being knowledgeable. knowing your stuff. maturity.

Somehow the initial post sounds like a successful trolling attempt, has all the characteristics of it.

@seedjar: being knowledgeable. knowing your stuff. maturity.

Oh OK... hrm. I guess the Osama part threw me off.

Somehow the initial post sounds like a successful trolling attempt, has all the characteristics of it.

While we're on the topic of guidelines for civil conduct on the forums, I think calling people's motivations into question and accusing them of trolling when they aren't even present to defend themselves is fairly unsportsmanlike. Whether or not it's a troll, we can still have a lighthearted-but-sincere discussion about it. Ean may be a little green in terms of having discussions with people of different beliefs but that's no reason to deny him the same right to start threads that everybody else here has.
~Joe

Actually... I don't quite know where you're going with your train of thought. Osama was pretty old. ???
~Joe

I think what he is referencing is the history of Osama's ties with the US. Let's just say this... like Saddam, there was once a time when he was our ally.

But that is another thread topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back