What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God is coming back

• Thread starter eou812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was making a reference to the fact that most 13-14 year olds had no idea who Osama was and why didnt know why people were happy that he was dead.

Ah. I see. Well... I question why people are happy about it as well, and I'm nearly 26. But my feelings are somewhat controversial, and that's a topic for another thread.

I think what he is referencing is the history of Osama's ties with the US. Let's just say this... like Saddam, there was once a time when he was our ally.

Hahaha! As a matter of fact dash, that's precisely why I have difficulty with the popular public attitude these days. You're right though - this is definitely tangental to the original discussion.
~Joe

Ah, sorry amph. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I thought that's where you were going with it, apparently not.

While we're on the topic of guidelines for civil conduct on the forums, I think calling people's motivations into question and accusing them of trolling when they aren't even present to defend themselves is fairly unsportsmanlike. Whether or not it's a troll, we can still have a lighthearted-but-sincere discussion about it. Ean may be a little green in terms of having discussions with people of different beliefs but that's no reason to deny him the same right to start threads that everybody else here has.
~Joe

It all depends on how you phrase it. I believe I left more than enough room for doubt in my post so it is for the reader to decide whether it is trolling or not. And since we touched the topic of online etiquette let me reiterate that the initial POST DOES have all the characteristics of internet trolling as commonly defined:

"someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response"

So please let the man defend himself.

P.S. Anyway it seems like I'm adding fuel into this fire and thus I apologize and will go and do something productive instead :)

@dash: not a big deal. no worries mate.

And since we touched the topic of online etiquette let me reiterate that the initial POST DOES have all the characteristics of internet trolling

I wouldn't even begin to deny the truth of that statement. :) I was just saying that it isn't necessary to call it that way. If it is a troll, it'll become obvious to everyone in time. If it isn't, it would be inconsiderate to derail the thread with accusations.
~Joe

My own take on this end of the world nonsense is don't let anyone fool you and don't fool yourself. Both my parents were into different Christian churches who eventually began predicting this stuff. My dad's sometime in 1970s and my mother's church pronounced the end of the world in 1989 or so and it didn't happen either either time (obviously). Thankfully, both of them left their churches when these issues came up. The same "signs" are always given as indicators: earthquakes, floods, strange weather, wars... what other signs could there be? Since these are all natural earth occurrences they're always valid predictions. Successful predictions are always made in vague terms so as not to become too precise and therefore incorrect over time.

I don't think he's trolling, just discovering himself and curious about others. I was on a kick of making these kinds of posts a few years ago - I didn't know the word trolling back then. In my own case it was because I was into studying all sorts of philosophy at the time and I liked to know what other people believed and why and if they could justify it clearly to me.

Haha... have you guys heard about the May 21st Judgement day? Some guy said he figured it out, it is pretty funny, if we all make it hrough the 21st, then we're doomed!

Haha... have you guys heard about the May 21st Judgement day? Some guy said he figured it out, it is pretty funny, if we all make it hrough the 21st, then we're doomed!

im sorry but that guy (who made that prediction) is a friggen nut. he's predicted the end of the world and has been wrong not just once, but twice! people, get a clue! that being said, may 21st was coincidentally the same day he was kicked out of his local church...i think there's some personal beef.

I find this sort of belief quite interesting, especially when it is predicted on numerous occasions, throughout history. In my opinion, the whole 'end of the world' scenario seems more like a method to try and control a large group of people to do certain things, eg, abide by the Christian faith, etc etc. Which, in my own humble opinion, is exactly what religion sets out to do - to control the population. You only really need to look at the Hindu caste system to understand the idea, and the powerful tool religion can be in the manipulation of the masses to do the elite's wishes. I came across this video a while ago on youtube, and it illustrates my own point/view pretty perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOThygGVK0&feature=channel_video_title

If you believe the world is ending soon, you can if you want to. It's your own call. But as with most things in life, ideas should be questioned and evaluated- otherwise the only result is continuity. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Discourse is always healthy! :)

Hey amp, it was a joke hehe, just trying to lighten up the mood, but you must ruin everything :p

I agree with MW1 for the most part. Things like Religion, patriotism, goverment, race, etc have been used throughout history by people to manipulate others. Because like anything that involves humans, it can and will be corrupted by evil and manipulative people for thier own purposes. The sooner people discover this and develop a lack of trust in other people to remain virtuous, the better. It's simply not out nature to be selfless. It requires real effort. People in higher places of power and wealth did not get to higher places of wealth and power by being selfless so they should be the least trusted in my book when trying to move the masses for a cause.

However, that is not to say there isn't a god. We will find that out for ourselves eventually and can choose for ourselves if we want to believe there is or is not one until then. Well ... I guess if we don't find it out when we die, then there isn't one I guess. LOL.

il_fullxfull.233904131.jpg

~Joe

That's funny. LOL.

I am simply saying like anything you can choose to believe or not to believe. It's your choice. And you should never trust anyone to make the decision for you. Because you can bet they will make the decision that is in thier best interest, not yours.

Just to give everyone a heads up God is coming back vey soon. But as Mathew 24:36 says "No one knows when that day or hour will come-not the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

I DON'T WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A RELIGION THING.

Is it just me or do I get the tiniest whiff of dichotomy** in the air? :scratch:

** "division into two mutually exclusive, opposed, or contradictory groups" - from Dictionary.com

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof."
- Matthew 6:34

Generally speaking, I think the prophets frowned on telling others what to do - particularly when doomsday or wrath are the supposed motivating factors.
~Joe

WTB new terra-forum rule: no politics and no religion. NOTHING good comes from these types of discussions. They only divide people that otherwise share a common interest.

+2

@seedjar: That picture cracks me up. Every. Time.

OMG cicadas are waking up and coming out of the ground to swarm everything too omgomgomg!!!!!!!1

F'real though, I still don't buy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back