What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

God is coming back

• Thread starter eou812
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
:0o:
FIRST LOVEBUGS, NAO CICADAS, AND THEN HURRICANES.

It's TRUE! It's the same thing that happens EVERY year, but this time...it's different. *nods*
:lol:<3

Love how we've turned this into talking about insects and natural catastrophes ;)

Frowny face. I sincerely wanted to understand Ean's reasoning about prophesying from the Bible. (Which I regard as different from Biblical prophesy - the former is people today justifying predictions with passages from the Bible, whereas the latter would be predictions explicitly spelled out in the Bible itself.)
~Joe

He'll probably be back later to elaborate a bit, I'm sure.

Hoooo boy.

*walks away now*

All I can say on the matter is this:

All the doomcriers that have been and are, all have been disappointed and all will continue to be diappointed. Of course, it doesn't sway them, even when their sources are disproven. I know of one cult that was disappointed by their "savior" and his sworn statement of an actual end date, which came and went, twice, and we're all still here. That guy's now in jail for kid touching. And then you have guys like Applewhite and Jones who make damn sure that their followers can never question them. And this too shall pass (the current resurgence of doomcriers, not the world, at least not any time soon).

What I want to know is this:

When a doomcrier dies, does his soul mop it's ephemeral brow with a "Phew, I made is out". Or, does he stamp his foot petulantly and exclaim, "Crap, I missed all the misery!"?

And this:

Why is it that every doomcrier on the face of the planet feels an urgent need to shove their belief into the face of anyone who'll listen? And it really doesn't seem to even matter if they'll agree, argue, or remain indifferent.

And this:

Why is it that those who profess most loudly that it's impossible to know the mind of god are also those who think they know the mind of god?

And this:

Why is it that those who profess most loudly that it's impossible to know the mind of god are also those who think they know the mind of god?

Have you ever seen little kids playing a make-believe game?
"Well I shoot you with my laser gun so you're dead."
"Nuh-uh! I have laser-proof armor so your laser bounces off me and hits you, so you're dead!"
"No you're dead, 'cuz my laser gun is anti-laser-proof so your armor just disintegrates!"
{etc., etc.}
...I think it's kind of like that.
~Joe

As much as I agree with a lot of the criticism here, this thread is starting to head towards inadvertent flaming of a misguided 14 yr old kid. Having a mod lock the thread might be prudent.

I'm more than a little upset that these fanatics would say that the 21st is the day of rapture. That's the day after my 21st birthday! How am I supposed to be going to heaven hungover?? Also, I have a musical performance on the 21st. If god interrupted my set, that would be a major buzzkill.

But seriously, it's my opinion that we are at a point in our species' timeline where any concentration or energy spent towards imagining or preparing for the worst will only inhibit us from doing our best.

Apocalyptic scenarios and the end times just distract from major issues that we, as a species, could otherwise be dealing with. (Deforestation, pollution, climate change, mass extinction, Nuclear disasters)

Instead people are saying oh my lordy the lord is coming we better be afraid and start praying now!

Don't pray,

Do something! Do something that might, at the very least, save the future of the delicate and awesome plants that all of us love!

I think some of us have missed the entire point of Ean's post. The biblical passages had nothing to do with predicting a year, day, hour, etc. It clearly states "But of the day and the hour no one knows, except my Father in heaven only." If you read it in context, it simply means God is coming back, but no one knows the day. That seems far from a date setting psycho to me :) Any "Christian" that attempts to set a specific date is operating outside of what Christianity advocates.

To play the devil's advocate here, what if Ean is not a "misguided 14 year old." What if there is truth in his post? See the irony ;) I don't think he is a troll at all. In fact, I think the kid's got guts :)

To play the devil's advocate here, what if Ean is not a "misguided 14 year old." What if there is truth in his post? See the irony ;) I don't think he is a troll at all. In fact, I think the kid's got guts :)

Thank you. While I don't agree with his (apparent) opinion, I don't think we have any reason to be calling his credibility into question. The OP does seem to imply that this is something that will be happening soon, though, and that's what I object to - particularly when coupled with the rather contradictory quotation.
~Joe

Thank you. While I don't agree with his (apparent) opinion, I don't think we have any reason to be calling his credibility into question. The OP does seem to imply that this is something that will be happening soon, though, and that's what I object to - particularly when coupled with the rather contradictory quotation.
~Joe

I hope it's not soon... I am enjoying my toys :)

Oh OK... hrm. I guess the Osama part threw me off.

While we're on the topic of guidelines for civil conduct on the forums, I think calling people's motivations into question and accusing them of trolling when they aren't even present to defend themselves is fairly unsportsmanlike. Whether or not it's a troll, we can still have a lighthearted-but-sincere discussion about it. Ean may be a little green in terms of having discussions with people of different beliefs but that's no reason to deny him the same right to start threads that everybody else here has.
~Joe

:bigthumpup:

Well i think now i learned my lessen on not to post anything religious wise on here :glare:

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

i was making a reference to the fact that most 13-14 year olds had no idea who Osama was and why didnt know why people were happy that he was dead.

I have and i did know him when he died. I know why people were happy that he was dead. HE CAUSED CHAOS, 9/11 AND OTHER ATTACKS.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

My own take on this end of the world nonsense is don't let anyone fool you and don't fool yourself. Both my parents were into different Christian churches who eventually began predicting this stuff. My dad's sometime in 1970s and my mother's church pronounced the end of the world in 1989 or so and it didn't happen either either time (obviously). Thankfully, both of them left their churches when these issues came up. The same "signs" are always given as indicators: earthquakes, floods, strange weather, wars... what other signs could there be? Since these are all natural earth occurrences they're always valid predictions. Successful predictions are always made in vague terms so as not to become too precise and therefore incorrect over time.

I don't think he's trolling, just discovering himself and curious about others. I was on a kick of making these kinds of posts a few years ago - I didn't know the word trolling back then. In my own case it was because I was into studying all sorts of philosophy at the time and I liked to know what other people believed and why and if they could justify it clearly to me.

I am not giving a date on when HE is coming back. I just said it's soon. I didn't say 2011, 2012, 3001 i just said soon.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

im sorry but that guy (who made that prediction) is a friggen nut. he's predicted the end of the world and has been wrong not just once, but twice! people, get a clue! that being said, may 21st was coincidentally the same day he was kicked out of his local church...i think there's some personal beef.

YEP a friggin nut case!

---------- Post added 05-13-2011 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-12-2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

I find this sort of belief quite interesting, especially when it is predicted on numerous occasions, throughout history. In my opinion, the whole 'end of the world' scenario seems more like a method to try and control a large group of people to do certain things, eg, abide by the Christian faith, etc etc. Which, in my own humble opinion, is exactly what religion sets out to do - to control the population. You only really need to look at the Hindu caste system to understand the idea, and the powerful tool religion can be in the manipulation of the masses to do the elite's wishes. I came across this video a while ago on youtube, and it illustrates my own point/view pretty perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOThygGVK0&feature=channel_video_title

If you believe the world is ending soon, you can if you want to. It's your own call. But as with most things in life, ideas should be questioned and evaluated- otherwise the only result is continuity. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Discourse is always healthy! :)

Dude what Christian (depending on who they are) (I'm a Southern Baptist) has tried to control you? If not then why do you think they will?

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

That's funny. LOL.

I am simply saying like anything you can choose to believe or not to believe. It's your choice. And you should never trust anyone to make the decision for you. Because you can bet they will make the decision that is in thier best interest, not yours.

Yes i am with you i don't care if you believe or not. I'm not trying to make you believe or anything like that. Like i said in my first post "Just a notice that God will and is coming back."

Don't worry eou. Creed is the most often ignored group when it comes to civil rights. Actually, I think they reworded it to ... Regardless of Race, (censored), or color.

Is this not polytheism?

No it is not. It says in the Bible that God sent his Son Jesus down to earth. That is what the verse ment by Father and Son. God created the angles in the beginning. (Genesis 1:1)

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Hoooo boy.

*walks away now*

Smart move. ;) You to petmantis.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

umm....Eou?......got some bad news for ya little buddy.... http://www.crackgreg.com/images/2009-01-18-847-god-is-coming-1.jpg

Not funny. Really not funny petmantis. You will be here for the tribulation if you are not saved by the time God comes back. He will and i repeat WILL come back. Everyone that is not saved WILL experience the tribulation.

Tribulation. Is that anything like a celebration? Will there be food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back