What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This one is amazing, apparently, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens.

Very nice compilation of petiolaris leaves! The back-lighting brings out interesting aspects of them.

And I should mention that I'm glad to have 'Amphirion' back. :p

This one is amazing, apparently, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens.

and amazingly EXPENSIVE! does seem worth it though. once when i get income, i'll start saving up for it.

Very nice compilation of petiolaris leaves! The back-lighting brings out interesting aspects of them.

And I should mention that I'm glad to have 'Amphirion' back. :p

please believe me when i say, im glad to have 'amphirion' back too. :-D

I feel your pain. The lens I'm looking at right now costs a few thousand....

might as well try to keep this thread alive.
my heliamphora heterodoxa telling me that my conditions are habitable...

8155450079_eb0b403e3c_o.png

Love the peachy color in that pic! I need to retry Helis.

I need to spend a little more time looking at your pics. Beautiful plants :) I love the Drosera zonaria. I've never seen a sundew like that in my life. So bizarre! I love it! Nice looking heterodoxa pitcher.

... Of course, a macro lense always helps.. Ahem...

JK ;)

Edit: looking back in the posts, apparently you don't have a macro lense, but you sure have a better camera than my piece of junk ! LOL
Great photography :)

Last edited:
Nice focus on that one!

Beautiful, that heli's got fantastic color. First mature pitcher on that plant?

thanks very much guys for the kind comments.
@hcarlton: yes, you should...i joke around when i say this, but helis are the new neps. ;)
@richjam: thanks for much for the kind comments as well, i've been trying to get this photography business down. im still learning...and still a lot to learn. i might have an eye for things, but having an eye is useless if you dont know how to operate equipment. ;)
@wire: thanks sir.
@iwest: actually, yes. :)

here's another one...
someone on TF requested photos of my D. cadauca, i was only able to produce one. :p
8158708675_d8e790d71e_c.jpg

probably the ugly duckling of the petolaris complex, the plant initially maintained a compact rosette, only 1 inch in diameter before exploding in growth, creating elongated petioles. as the growth continues, the plant begins to produce drastically reduced trap leaves (as seen here), which will continue to persist until dormancy sets in.

Last edited:
that is really interesting amph. Thanks for sharing! I disagree though it's not the ugly duckling it is the weird uncle that everybody hopes doesn't show up because they "forgot" to invite him but then he shows up anyway. i keed i keed! Personally though I think it is a really cool plant and one of the coolers dews in the complex, but i have an eye for the weird and unusual.

@mcmcnair: lolz. the weird uncle analogy pretty much holds true. i was reluctant to purchase cadauca for my collection, but gave in considering that im trying to "catch 'em all".
i, too, also have an eye for the weird and unusual, all the more for collecting the petiolaris complex. they're as weird as you can get!

It may be the weird uncle, ha!, but D. caduca is certainly rare in cultivation. It's nice to see photos from someone growing it.

awesome pics Jon, you gotz beautiful plants and da artistic talent

Very nice pictures Jon!! How do you feel about manual focus lenses? I use a vintage Vivitar 28mm 2.8 MC Close Focus wide angle lens for Pentax K on my Canon T1i. The adapter is extremely cheap, under $15 shipped and that's with focus confirmation (it's chipped to beep when you achieve focus). You can get the lens for under $100 shipped. I paid around $50 for mine with shipping. It's not a true macro, but it's professional quality glass for pennies. It will allow you to get pretty darned close. Vintage Vivitar is excellent glass, especially if you can get one with the right serial (mine starts with 28). There's one on ebay right now for $40.00 and just under $8.00 to ship.

Just a thought :). I use my Viv over my Sigma 105mm about 95% of the time.

Crystal

Sticky grass, Jon? :p

@bluemax: thanks a lot sir. dont think there are many clones of caduca floating around, which will make it harder to create seed, but hopefully this one's a splitter!
@av8tor: thank's sir! i do try my best! :hail:
@crysstal: thanks so much for the tip. i'll take a look into that, sounds very promising!
@thez: first the pond scum, then the sticky grass....what are neps called? :lol:

I've got one as you know, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll flower at the same time and happen to be different clones.

Back