What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good black backdrop material?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Hey folks since I'm growing Neps again I want to take pics of them on a monthly basis to document their growth and I want to do portrait like shots of them against a black backdrop. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions as to the type of material I should get. I have access to several full fledged fabric shops but they may not have anything fancier than black velvet, fleece, velour, etc.

I know silk shines and plain black sheets from target turn grey in pics as I've used both of those in the past.

Ive been told felt is good..

Used a black towel for my pics...you should check them out. In "General Discussions" :D

Velvet worked nicely for my avatar pic :)
Jeremiah does lots of snazzy pics, so mebbe he'll see this and tell you? :)

I want at least 2 square yards 72 x 72

Black throw blanket works great.

I suppose a black Pendleton blanket would be about the right size and texture. You'd probably want to get a knock-off though, because genuine Pendleton blankets aren't cheap. Otherwise, terri cloth is probably a good choice, as someone said above. Or perhaps you could get a large scrap piece of black carpet?
~Joe

Faux fur is what Jeremiah uses as I recall from an earlier post.

Pre-digital age movie special effects like 2001: A Space Odyssey used black velvet.

Actually you can get the same effect through careful flash lighting.

I asked my wife to pick up some black, non-shiny cloth a year or three ago. She found a black cotton (?) remnant that mostly does the job. As long as the subject has decent illumination and the backdrop doesn't, it mostly doesn't matter.

Back