What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Midwest CP Meet (Indy)?

I happen to live down the street from a Park Ranger. He works at a park not too far from where I live. He has invited me to bring my plants to the annual "Bug Fest" at the park which brings in around 2000 visitors every year. He has invited me since insectivorous plants are bug related and will attract visitors to enjoy nature, bugs, and the plants that feed on them. And maybe inspire a few future botonists.

He told me I am welcome to invite my friends. I don't know all of the details yet, but I believe we will have our own area in the park to setup shop for display to the public. I figured we could also use this time to meet and great our fellow midwest growers.

The date of the "Bug Fest" is Sunday August 28th.

Post here if this is something that interests you and maybe we can get a midwest CP meeting put together in a nice big park free of charge. I have been to this park many times and it is a good sized park with nature trails, large open areas, and a clubhouse.

Last edited:
Sounds great to me.

Cool. I'll post here as I get more info. In the meantime, here are a few links to show you where the park is, plus a flyer of events for the park. Looks like the bugfest is from 1PM-5PM.

Map to Park

Flyer for events (PDF)

So this would be one of those things where you bring a few plants to display and maybe to trade. Being the end of Aug, a good number of Sarracenias will look quite nice.

That does sound cool. I can bring some Sarrs.

@obsidian - Yes, the main purpose is to get together, show off our plants, and meet fellow CPers. I'll have some things to give away or trade for sure.

Hey punpkinface. Nice to have another Indy resident on the forum. As far as I know things are still on. I'll talk to him this week to try to get more details as to how much space we will have in the park.

I will provide the following...
Coolers
Ice
Soda's and bottled water
Tables
A shade canopy to get out of the sun in case we are not in shade.
A few chairs (you may want to bring your own).
I'll also bring a few gallons of distilled water in case anybody's plants get thirsty.

You may want to bring some snacks. There are a few fast food places a few miles away though (McD's, Wendy's and Subway).

I'll get all details together second week of July and try to start getting a head count. Hope to see you there.

Update: I have spoken to the park ranger and confirmed our attendance. Here is his reply.

We would love to have you and your group at our annual Bug Fest event here at Southeastway Park. It is scheduled for Sunday August 28th from 1-5 here at Southeastway. Lunch for workers is provided from 12-1 at the Park Office. I will add you guys to the listing of events and to the punch cards we give to all the visitors. Last year total attendance was estimated at 2,000 people(this is always weather and marketing dependent). Basically the folks that come to Bug Fest are free to roam around to the 20 or so different stations we have set up to be ongoing throughout the day. Once they visit the station someone at the station is to sign their card that they attended. Anyone that visits at least 8 stations will earn the doctor of Bugology degree upon checkout.

I appreciate your interest and being willing to help out. It is a fun time.
Let me know if you have any questions. And see ya at Bug Fest.

Park Manager / Indy Parks
City of Indianapolis Department of Parks & Recreation
Southeastway Park
5624 S Carroll Road
New Palestine IN, 46163

I am still ironing out minor details like tables, but we are definately on!!! Can't wait to meet everyone.

Please post here or shoot me a PM if you plan on attending so I can get a general head count.

Update 2:

I spoke to the Park Ranger again and we will have a table or two provided, but I will round up some additional ones. We will also be located near some shade as most displays are so I don't think a canopy will be needed but I have one already so I'll bring it just in case.

FYI, We will have a large area for us to stretch out and mingle. We won't be cramped up next to all of the other displays. They place them throughout the park and visitors walk from station to station. I have been to this event before and it is a very good time. They even have an edible bug station where you can try edible bugs if you are so bold.

I will provide:
Coolers with Ice
Bottled Water and Soda's
Distilled Water just in case anybody needs some.
I might also bring a corn hole game or something.

The park will provide for us:
Lunch @12 PM at the Park Rangers office.

You should bring:
Some plants if possible to display and/or trade.
A chair
Snacks if you want.

Thanks again for this Damon. We are VERY excited!! Going to bring some dews, cephs, and neps to trade and show. Along with some adult tarantulas to hopefully sell to the non-CP'ers. ;)

Glad you will be coming Mass. Yes, a tarantula will fit right in with this event. I'm sure you will find a taker.

bumpity bump bump.

One thing I was thinking I will do is packet up all of my D. filiformis seed and possibly my D. capillaris to give away to visitors.

Back