What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those hunters/shooters out there..

I recently came into possession of two rifles that my dad owned some 20 odd years ago, and sold off to my grandparents.... Neither rifle is stock any more, and are very highly modified, and incredibly accurate.... One is a Remington model 40XB .308 with a full floated Shilen bull barrel and the 1 in 10 twist rifling, and a leupold scope built to his specs, cannot shoot standard shelf bought .308 as the internal portion of the barrel is a few thousands of an inch smaller than the standard chamber of a .308, hand loads that have been trimmed and twisted and blown back out to proportion must be used. There is more into this gun than i am going to explain LOL. but the other, is a Browning .22-250, also with a fully floated shilen bull barrel, only this has polygonal rifling to the barrel. Has one of THE most beautiful thumbhole stocks i have ever seen, and fits like a glove....
However i will say i do not believe i could ever hunt with the Remington 40XB.... too heavy, i dont mind if its a single shot but still, faaaar too heavy.

Both guns will shoot a 1/4 MOA at 300 meters, and we have shot coyotes from 900 yards + with the 40XB

DSC_0358.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0356.jpg

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

so much went into the rifles, its an honor to be in possession of these....

Last edited:
I bet it is. Nice one's i wish i had them.

That Browning is beautiful.
It's good that you appreciate and care for them.

The Browning's stock was hand made by my father, royal arms tiger maple...
Ontop of that, the .22-250 used to be an old .243 varmint, the action is made by sako.... the gun is 40 or so years old, and has gone through some heavy changes....

Last edited:
wow those are both beautiful pieces you have there esp the remington, shes a beauty but so is the browning. Gun envy lol

Thanks Nep, they really are works of art if you ask me... So much love, time, and money went into these rifles....

Those are absolutely beautiful guns!!! Great to know there are others here who appreciate these things. :)

That Browning is downright stunning! I'm getting some nice hand-me-downs soon here too - we should go shooting sometime once I pick them up from my dad.
~Joe

I like them both, but nothing but burl out does tiger, very nice Browning.

Back