What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shipping costs

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Ok I just been looking around at some different posts talking about shipping. See some people asking for $6 some asking for $6.20.

Here is the deal. A small flat rate box ships anywhere for $5 bucks. Yes $5.20 if you pay at the post office, BUT when you buy your shipping label on paypal it comes with free delivery confirmation and only costs $5 bucks. Then you tape the label to the box and it is ready to go! Can even ask for a currier to pick up your packages for free. I do not understand why people are asking for $6 and more shipping when 5.50 covers the paypal fees leaves you with 5.05 and then pays for shipping when a shipping label is purchased through paypal.

I screwed around and used very old priority boxes I had left over. ended up paying 6 bucks shipping to some folks in the ventrata deal but that was my fault. The post office is pushing the flat rate it seams and it is now cheaper. I was never trying to make a buck even minuscule on it. Shipping is shipping and flat rates to my understanding are the same nation wide. Are they not?? It is not difficult to figure out what you need to ask for to cover paypals fees if you are truly just asking for shipping. It is 2.9% plus 0.30 cents.

Also being kind a gesture it may be. When sending money to someone for shipping do not send it as personal so they don't pay the fees. Then they cannot print a shipping label and take advantage of the discount and getting the box labeled very simply.

Ok that is my rant for the day...

Maybe some ppl charge for packing materials aswell ?

Ok I just been looking around at some different posts talking about shipping. See some people asking for $6 some asking for $6.20.

Here is the deal. A small flat rate box ships anywhere for $5 bucks. Yes $5.20 if you pay at the post office, BUT when you buy your shipping label on paypal it comes with free delivery confirmation and only costs $5 bucks. Then you tape the label to the box and it is ready to go! Can even ask for a currier to pick up your packages for free. I do not understand why people are asking for $6 and more shipping when 5.50 covers the paypal fees leaves you with 5.05 and then pays for shipping when a shipping label is purchased through paypal.

I screwed around and used very old priority boxes I had left over. ended up paying 6 bucks shipping to some folks in the ventrata deal but that was my fault. The post office is pushing the flat rate it seams and it is now cheaper. I was never trying to make a buck even minuscule on it. Shipping is shipping and flat rates to my understanding are the same nation wide. Are they not?? It is not difficult to figure out what you need to ask for to cover paypals fees if you are truly just asking for shipping. It is 2.9% plus 0.30 cents.

Also being kind a gesture it may be. When sending money to someone for shipping do not send it as personal so they don't pay the fees. Then they cannot print a shipping label and take advantage of the discount and getting the box labeled very simply.

Ok that is my rant for the day...

Josh,

If by any chance I'm one of those who you ended up paying 6 for shipping please let me know I'll send extra via paypal your way. I really appreciate you organizing that giveaway. I'm a noob and just starting my collection.

Thank you!

P.S.: So when sending money through paypal it is best to select Purchase>>Goods ?

Last edited:
Not everything will fit in the flat-rate boxes. The saying on the USPS commercials is "If it fits it ships". Try fitting a 4 inch diameter rhizome with 18 inch pitchers into a small 5.5 x 9 x 2.5 inch flat rate box. Non-flat rate Priority mail rates are based on weight, distance (zone to zone) and dimensions of the box.

Having just sent out a bunch of parcels for the NASC auction I probably spent on the average an hour on each parcel. I had to uproot the plant(s), divide, clean the roots and perhaps trim off dead material, then wrap the roots and bag or put the plants in containers then assemble the boxes, pad the plants, seal and label the boxes. Then drive to the post office, wait in line and purchase postage.

For the auction I listed shipping at ~$6.00. This was with the contingency in mind that I would have to use a non flat rate box due to size of the item. And a ballpark figure allowed the bidder to budget. I only asked for the actual shipping amount. If some reason shipping went over $6.00 I would have just eaten the difference. It is for a good cause after all.

Not everybody uses PayPal-eBay and I don't begrudge anybody charging a dollar or two over the basic postage charge. It takes time to pack the items and supplies like tape, bubble pack, peanuts, labels, printer cartridges, gasoline and electricity are not free. And not everybody wants to open a Click'nShip account with the Post Office.

If you use the Post Office's Shipping Assistance program you can print labels and get free delivery confirmation tracking. If you print the label and buy postage with the automated kiosk at the post office you get free delivery confirmation tracking also.

Last edited:
I agree with NaN. I normally don't mind paying a few bucks more for shipping as it takes a great deal of time, energy, and extra costs besides the stamp on the box. I also don't mind spending a few bucks more than I charge to ship. I'll spend as much as I think necessary to get a plant there safely.

I charged 6 bucks for all of my NASC items. I actually spent way more than this because I had to buy baggies (sandwich, gallon, and 2.5 gallon), dried LFS for packaging, water to wet the LFS, shipping tape, etc. Oh, then the fact that I decided to send most of my donations in medium flat rate boxes in order to not have to snip away new growth as much as possible.

I especially don't mind if it is a giveaway. Then there is always the chance of extras! I guess it is all relative too. 6 bucks for a packet of capensis seed I would probably back out of the transaction.

I reuse peanuts and priority shipping boxes when possible (I'm sure you've all noticed :lol:) and go to the post office to ship my stuff off. I don't understand the online buy-shipping-labels stuff, nor do I want to spend $100+ on a scale to weigh stuff to get the correct postage at home because that is more of a waste than the driving over and standing in line at the Post Office. Also, if I know my P.O. people, I'm more likely to get all my packages in one piece on time because they know me personally.

When I ask people to cover shipping, it's because I'm broke... because usually I just cover it myself. It's nice when they send it personal on paypal because I can't figure out how much a priority box will cost beforehand, so printing off a label that would cost me the $2 in 'goods/services' is actually just like... stealing my money for the Post Office for me not getting anything out of it. So - when I ask for a reimburse I send *exactly* just how much shipping cost at the post office disregarding the cost of: boxes, gas, wasting time in line, peanuts, packing bags, back pain, lfs and all. Because I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional nursery, and I don't know the fancy ins and outs of a company that ships stuff.

I had a custom rubber stamp made (freakin expensive LOL).... but its nice to have in big red letters

"Perishable Live Plants, keep from heat or cold"

and I prefer the warm and fuzzy feeling of sig confirmation (unless I ship to Zu hehehehe)

and if you count gas, time, materials... etc....

I have seem those boxes make their rounds through the membership, people love the big red stamp!

worst case I had, one member begged for a plant (ceph), then after I agree he tells me he cant afford shipping and could I donate that to him as well...

Sheesh... he was a kid so I did it, but i also put him on ignore when he started hitting me up for a heli
(and after he killed the ceph and thought I should replace it)
shakes head....

hehehe my vent done :p

Last edited:
LOL. I have to say I have received your boxes before Butch second hand, and I re-used them too!

This gives me an idea. I think I'll start writing DASHMAN was HERE! on the insides of boxes I ship out to see if I ever get one back.

I think I'm so bad with reusing boxes and it's really hard for me to rip off the old shipping labels that you guys probably get old labels from Tony and stuff from me :lol:

Use the flat priority boxes, they are $5.20, but flat rate is u to 4 pounds (not true). The four pounds includes the box and everything in it. Some how a flat rate box with two small plants, no soil, ended up being over six dollars.

LOL. I have to say I have received your boxes before Butch second hand, and I re-used them too!

This gives me an idea. I think I'll start writing DASHMAN was HERE! on the insides of boxes I ship out to see if I ever get one back.

LOL.... reminds me of that garden gnome that traveled the world

Ive gotten a few cool CP buisness cards over the years with plants, Jeremiah's has growing instructions printed on the back of his...

Most Cp'ers are extremely loyal and giving people... do right by them and they repay you many times over...

I think I'm so bad with reusing boxes and it's really hard for me to rip off the old shipping labels that you guys probably get old labels from Tony and stuff from me :lol:

Hey, I reuse ALL my boxes...Tony's included...aint' no shame in it...I think of it as..."recycling". ;)

There are marginal discounts available if one buys postage online from the USPS; but not everyone has constant computer access and the post office still provides the most "convenient" service. Also, packing materials -- chips, boxes, etc. -- in the dubious Age of eBay, have skyrocketed; and that expense has to be passed on or simply absorbed by the seller/shipper.

Also, as others have mentioned, there is the time issue in packing and shipping delicate items . . .

Ebay - PayPal is able to give a discount since they are dealing in volume and can get a deal with the Post Office. Businesses can get discount and bulk rates. Costco and some supermarkets sell books/rolls of stamps at a discount because they can buy in bulk.

PayPal-Ebay more than makes up for it with the surcharges and fees they put on business transactions. You can avoid these charges with personal transactions for now but I don't expect that to last. At best PayPal will probably put some limits on personal transactions like number per month.

I reuse peanuts and priority shipping boxes when possible (I'm sure you've all noticed :lol:) and go to the post office to ship my stuff off. I don't understand the online buy-shipping-labels stuff, nor do I want to spend $100+ on a scale to weigh stuff to get the correct postage at home because that is more of a waste than the driving over and standing in line at the Post Office. Also, if I know my P.O. people, I'm more likely to get all my packages in one piece on time because they know me personally.

When I ask people to cover shipping, it's because I'm broke... because usually I just cover it myself. It's nice when they send it personal on paypal because I can't figure out how much a priority box will cost beforehand, so printing off a label that would cost me the $2 in 'goods/services' is actually just like... stealing my money for the Post Office for me not getting anything out of it. So - when I ask for a reimburse I send *exactly* just how much shipping cost at the post office disregarding the cost of: boxes, gas, wasting time in line, peanuts, packing bags, back pain, lfs and all. Because I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional nursery, and I don't know the fancy ins and outs of a company that ships stuff.

Exactimundo!

There are my random thoughts...

I have asked/charged anywhere from nothing to about $20 for shipping. We send out alot of boxes during the warmer months. On an average shipping week we spend about 4 hours a week packing/shipping plants out. Add that up with 20+ shipping weeks and yea...Now lets look at the cost of shipping. Alot of people don't see these costs due to there lower volume but let me tell you tape, paper, toner, markers, plastic bags, did I mention tape...so much tape.

For the vast unnamed E-bay crowd I have no problem charging whatever I feel like at the given time. My time is valuable to me and I should be compensated for it. What you paid for the item is for the item, not shipping. I generally charge $7.5 +$1-$2.5 per additional item. That may seem high if you've never packed up 10-30 boxes a week for months on end, but let me tell you, I would be better off delivering pizza's with that time than shipping out those boxes. I won't even think about selling something without a base of $7.50 for shipping. The cost is not only to cover postage but my time and materials used in that shipping.

Now if I'm doing a giveaway or something because I just want to give back I'll greatly reduce the costs and usually just want a Paypal payment to get the addressing done quicker and more accurately, its usually not about covering costs with these.

I tend to get annoyed when people complain about shipping being too high, the plants don't pack themselves and its not very nice for someone to tell me todo them a favor and pack there items for free. Remember, you get what you pay for, I have received more than a few plants just taped inside a box with no other packing.

You folks have me DYING over here. I love starting a lil discusion that turns into a war. You folks take me too seriously and think I am pointing fingers at you. NAN I love you man! LMAO I was not talking about any post fom the auction or anyones in particular. I guess I should have been more clear.

The offers I was refering to are for like single capensis or a small dew. I realize not everything shipps in a small flat rate box, and I was also refering to giveaways too! If I were BUYING a plant I would pay whatever the person wanted for shipping. I have paid 25+ for shipping of orchids or patting material. I was refering tot he givaways that are not supposed to be making profit in the trade section.

My givaway was plenty big enough to ship in the small flat rate boxes. And to be honest I used some old boxes and ended up paying the difference in cost over what I charged because I used the wrong boxes. I never asked for the difference.

I understand packing material and this that and the other. Especially now since you cannot get anything but the flat rate boxes from USPS.com. By all means charge what is needed for the shipping and to get the plant there safely. I was in a mood and was being asked for high shipping costs on something that could fit in a box ten times plus over in a small flat rate box.

I don't care to get to know the folks at the post office. I have too much stuff to do to wait standing in line, so if I can print the shipping label that is awesome. I think the fees from paypal are very reasonable to do what they are doing. 3% plus 30 cents come on, that gets blown on stupid stuff all the time. They provide me a great service. Once that no one else provides that I am aware of without getting your own credit card kiosc.

LOL Butch I totaly did the same thing you did and got a stamp made! And I forgot to use the dang thing on this givaway! I think mine only cost me 18 bucks. I dont remember. I need a new one made. Mine just says Parishable Live plants on it.

Thez yo you do not have to spend 100+ on a scale. I have a pair of digital scales I bought from office depot or someplace like that. Used them for other thigns years ago, but they still are excelent scales and are postage scales. They work great for my postage. and they were around $20 bucks.

I see everyones point of view and agree with them all to an extent. The point of my post was Missed entirely! I WAS NOT talking about shipping on baught items. There I believe your time is also valuable and should be compensated for. I was mearly refering to the givaways where the time and plant I feel is donated and shipping is paid.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I guess I was NOT clear in my post as I reread it. I was talking about givawasy. and not charging shipping. I am a firm believer in shipping and handeling charges. It does take time to package up a plant for shipping. Sorry for not being clear.

Tried printing labels from my pay pal account couldn't get the printer to work had to hand address all the labels It costs 6.20 to ship a small priority box with delivery confirmation

I rarely argue over shipping on e-bay. I understand time, packaging, etc, and wanting to recoup e-bay fees (especially if the auction ends low). But, some sellers are completely ridiculous. For instance, I contacted a seller about combining shipping on 7 bonsai starts, mostly in 3 or 4" pots. The seller said they would do this, no problem, and listed FedEx Ground/Home as their shipping method. They also listed the item as being in Old Bridge, NJ. So, I checked the FedEx rates and figured the size and weight would put the shipping alone at around $18. Great. Box and packing added in shouldn't be more than 5 or 10, add a little "padding" to that and the seller should be fine with a $36 shipping fee, right? Shee yah, right. I ask for the combined invoice and shipping alone is $120. WHAT?!?!?! So oon I go to e-bay and discover that a seller is NOT allowed, by e-bay rules and TOS, to profit on shipping, not for time, not for travel, not for employee wages, not for anything. They are entitled to a) the shipping charges (including signature, insurance, etc. if stated or requested) and b) the packing material reimbursement. So... I contact the seller and provide my informed estimate of shipping fees, as well as cost of packing materials from Staples (full retail, non bulk). So, their cost to ship to me ran to 20something. They (and other sellers on ebay forums) came back and said, "Well, you're already getting a $30 discount on shipping". Are you freakin' kidding me? So, I send the seller a link back, three times, plus four other reminders, to the ebay TOS. FINALLY, after about a week and a half, they come back with $43 shipping. Really. Really really, even afer I provided them with the detailed retail shipping and packing fees. Well, turns out the item isn't in NJ after all, but FL. Okay, so that's a $36 ship/pack. Whatever, it's now been almost two weeks since the win, so whatever, ship it at $43. I go to pay, it's $69. $%#@^! Dude, either make it $43, which is already too much, or cancel the whole deal. I'll contact e-bay, either way and let them know that you're listing items inappropriately and charging WAY too much for shipping. Apparently, English wasn't this seller's strong suit, but whatever, they finally got it done down to $43. I'm not holding my breath for quality of items received. But, I am kind of concerned that the items may not actually be coming from inside the US. In that case, I'll wind up burning the package and contacting e-bay for a full refund.

Back