What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JimScott's Porch (No Balcony)

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
The temperate plants have been out there for several weeks, and are just now sending up pitchers and flowers. The VFT's are also sending up flower scapes. Here in WNY we are a few weeks behind the hobbyisrs in the SE and West Coast.

5/25

I put the entire grow rack and window sill plants outside, on the porch rack, under trays of other plants, so they don't torched.

101_0258.jpg

5/26

I came home to a small disaster. A rainstorm with high winds caused one of the two planters that had 5 VFT's and a D. binata had toppled over the railing, off the porch, crashing to a concrete pad below.I salvaged what I could. One VFT is just plain MIA. Everything else had to be repotted into smaller pots because the plastic pots cracked on impact and ~1/3 of the media got lost. And of course the ID tags are now separated from the plants. That'll have to be fixed later on.

101_0259.jpg

101_0260.jpg

101_0261.jpg

101_0262.jpg

101_0263.jpg

101_0264.jpg

That's a whole lot of potted goodness! Looking good. What are those pink flowers in the last pic?

Nice! Not everyone's lucky enough to have a balcony... who knows, in a few years I might not!

I especially like the juicy looking cobra :drool:

okay.. I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong with my bogs. Out of 20 some odd rhizomes I've got one that's barely putting up growth. And our weather is pretty much on the same page, but your plants are so far ahead of mine.
Either I'm screwing something up, or your just a lot better at this growing thing than I am. I think maybe.. BOTH!

Looking good, Jim! Everything is so organized and pretty!

Are you using a new/different camera?

You might be able to prevent the wind disaster from happening again by placing a layer of clay at the bottom of the pots. Not only will it add weight, but it will retain a lot of water. Your binata looks very happy.

Wow, everything looks so beautiful. They look the the fresh air certainly agrees with them....

Thanks for sharing.

Ooh, nice!
I Love that setup! It's just so... roomy :p

That's a whole lot of potted goodness! Looking good. What are those pink flowers in the last pic?

Moither's Day Azaleas

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

You might be able to prevent the wind disaster from happening again by placing a layer of clay at the bottom of the pots. Not only will it add weight, but it will retain a lot of water. Your binata looks very happy.

Nothing is on the top tier, now.

Wonderful collection! Everything looks great, Jim.

Heavy rain and high winds - I can't tell you how many pygmy Drosera pups I've lost to those weather conditions. Usually I'll try to bring the pots in but you can't always be around or plan ahead when it happens.

Is that one of the Darlingtonia I sent you? Looking pretty good. How did your running water cultivation turn out?

Everything looks awesome, Jim!!!! I look forward to more!!! :drool:

Is that one of the Darlingtonia I sent you? Looking pretty good. How did your running water cultivation turn out?

That is indeed one of the survivors from you. The cold running water experiment was "good on paper", but I wasn't counting "critters" stealing the LFS and overturning and scattering the plants. I was disappointed that it neither flowered nor put out a stolon.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Everything looks awesome, Jim!!!! I look forward to more!!! :drool:

Some are doing well. Some are struggling. A couple died. Most are basically responding to being in the growing season and I hope that in a month the Sarracenias & VFT's will look more full, as well as the butterworts having more color.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

okay.. I've come to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong with my bogs. Out of 20 some odd rhizomes I've got one that's barely putting up growth. And our weather is pretty much on the same page, but your plants are so far ahead of mine.
Either I'm screwing something up, or your just a lot better at this growing thing than I am. I think maybe.. BOTH!

Hard to say... but that's your live LFS in the one pot. I am still very much a student of this hobby, learning a lot by much trial and error, supplemented by the wisdom of others.... that and doing this on a "shoestring budget!

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Looking good, Jim! Everything is so organized and pretty!

Are you using a new/different camera?

Same camera. I sowed devil claw seeds several weeks ago, just scattering them on the surface. Weeks later I could see that seedcoats swelled.... and robbed of the cotyledon. A couple weeks ago I sowed some more, and like last year, I pushed the seeds into the soil. Hopefully, I will get some action soon.

Very Nice! :-O

Nice! Not everyone's lucky enough to have a balcony... who knows, in a few years I might not!

I especially like the juicy looking cobra :drool:

Some of those pygmy dews came from you... particularly the callistos.

Back