What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this safe to feed to my plants?

gill_za

Never Knows Best
I turned these into powder and mix the with DI water to make a liquidy mush.

20110604_009.jpg by gillza, on Flickr

20110604_013.jpg by gillza, on Flickr

It looks like it has some vitamin supplements as well as some salts. Is it safe to feed to plants (VFT, Drosera, Pings, Sarracenia)?

I use that for my sundews with good success. A little goes a long way. The plants usually reward you for it within a few weeks. The results are definitely visible in my seedlings that get this (or any other source of feeding) and those that don't.

I've used it in its pellet form for pitcher plants too with no ill affects.

Not sure but i would go with freeze dried blood worms.

I've used them before for almost all my CPs in one form or another, they work. :)

I don't see why not. I've use various fish foods to feed my Nepenthes, Cephalotus and Drosera - even Sarracenia seedlings but they'd usually get stuck in the nectar around the peristome. Many of them are made from powdered blood worm to begin with. Many people use diluted fish emulsion fertilizers to feed their plants. Just be sensitive to any signs of over feeding/fertilization. You have to be familiar with the growth patterns and rhythms of your plants which sometimes takes several years of growing plants to acquire.

Thank you all for replies! NaN what are the signs of overfeeding?

what are the signs of overfeeding?

Belching & bad gas!
:gulp: :ohno:

Actually, for me it is browning of the leaf/pitcher, or if really overfed, a general decline of the plant itself and possibly even death! :eek:
You DON'T want that! So start with less than you think you ought & work your way up in amount, instead of risking poisoning your plant by overfeeding!
For feeding, less is best.... especially in the beginning! For both of you!

To get an understanding of your plants needs, I would suggest you start with one or two pellets at most (for a mature sized plant), & even this recommendation is dependent on the current size of the plant/pitcher. And in the beginning especially, feed no more than 10-20% of the pitchers. That is one (1) out of every 5 to 10 pitchers. For young plants, use less than a full pellet.

I often crush the pellets & hydrate them with water, then take a small amount with a pointy tweezers & drop a tiny amount into the pitchers. This works well for the "infants", but here especially, use a very, very small amount.

Think of the pellets as if they are "potent" bugs. You wouldn't expect the plant to choke down a huge meal! :puke: Especially a high protein/vitamin one!
Good feeding is about providing what the plant is able to metabolize & make use of. In the beginning, most people generally attempt to promote huge & fast growth, which only kills their plants! They also try to feed sick plants or plants suffering from poor conditions, which is even worse.

Feeding a plant is no substitute for giving it the right conditions & environment it needs to be healthy. A plant can't make use of "food" if it isn't under good conditions or in a healthy state. Humidity, temperature, lighting, etc. all affect how much food a plant can make use of. That is why is can be detrimental to a plant to attempt to feed it when it is entering dormancy or even if the temps are too cold or it doesn't get enough light. Under such conditions, feeding it will only encourage rot & death. :lac:

So if you understand this concept, as well as how the maturity & size of the plant itself to begin with, can affect how much a plant can "eat", then you will understand that "one size doesn't fit all"! :scratch:

The best advice is to start with a very small amount, and then be patient to see the plants response over the following few weeks. If it does well, then it may be safe to slightly increase the amount. Always increase in small increments, for "too much" is a lot harder for it to recover from than "not enough"!

It isn't about a "specific amount" of food to use. It is about learning what to do & use in relation to each individual plant. I hope you understand what I am referring to.

Well, that's my opinion & advice. Take it for what its worth.

Good luck.
:water:

Those work just fine. I use them dry... seems like they would get messy if you dissolved them into water. For smaller plants I crush them up a little bit, but stuff like Neps I just feed them whole. Some species break them down a lot more slowly than others. Shaking the pitchers periodically helps digestion - the motion causes them to think they have a fresh catch and secrete more acids into the fluid.
My only caution would be to make sure to get them all the way into the pitcher and submerged in fluid. I've had a few get stuck to nectar on the peristome and then start to go moldy after a few weeks.
~Joe

Back