What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the river is rising..........

these are shots my wife has taken where Montana Hwy 13 crosses the Missouri River east of Wolf Point.....the boat ramp is on the west side of the bridge, the flat is on the east....she put her feet in the exact same spot each time for the east side pics....however a few more days and she wont be able to stand there without getting her feet wet......

Friday
IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

Saturday
IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

Today(Monday)
IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

Wow.

Hey, is that a sturgeon sign there?

yep....we have two sturgeon here, pallid and shovelnose.....pallids are endangered, sign shows yah how to tell the difference between the two and what to do if yah accidentally catch a pallid....ive never caught one, have caught several shovelnose over the years though.....

We have greens and whites here. There's a size minimum, and a size maximum.

How high do you suppose the river will get?

not sure cause we cant get an answer out of the Corps of Engineers thats good for more than a day but part of the problem is this much water hasnt happened since the dam was built in the 30's.....pevious record before this year was 35,000cfs total out put in the 70's....today they will have 13,000cfs going through the powerhouse and 37,000cfs going through the spillway.....

at 50,000cfs should put the river roughly 8 feet over normal or bout 3 feet higher than my last pic(keep in mind it takes roughly 24 hours for the water to get to me so my pics are for the level of release the day before)......problem is thats with normal flow out of the Milk River(which is also about as long as Montana is wide) which connects with the Missouri below the dam but 35 miles upstream or so from me.....with all the rain we have been getting and are predicted to get this week the Milk is pushing through a hell of alot of water plus given all the rain this week im betting on the Corps releasing more than 50,000cfs.....

no one is sure where the high water mark is going to be.....as is the ground is saturated from a years worth of rain in less than a month and we have standing water everywhere it can pool.....

upstream of me but below the dam has received 2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours......and its still raining....

todays pics to go with the ones on the first post
IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Back