What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP calling all comp. geeks

• Thread starter jack
  • Start date
I need to delete from my recovery D: drive but every time I try it doesn't recoginize me and says I need permission. I'm the owner Of this damn thing and I need to know how to make this computer recognize me and allow me to make deletions!! HELP thanks, Jack

Need more information. Operating system, how you set up the recovery drive, what your user hierarchy is and what kind of privileges your account has, etc. Off the top of my head it sounds like you're using a plain ol' user-level login and whatever did this recover has the drive set up read-only to non-admins or those that aren't the root user.
~Joe

Without more specifics, if this is Windows Vista upwards, many operations that behave in this manner can be resolved if you right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

Without more specifics, if this is Windows Vista upwards, many operations that behave in this manner can be resolved if you right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

As well as right clicking > properties > and check out permissions usually under 'security' tab... check for read/write capabilities, etc.

Recovery partition will not let you delete stuff from what I remember, the files on it tend to have a specific set of permissions reserved for when the system restores itself, tamper proof so to speak. I remember cases when even an admin account could not have access to them. I don't use windows much at home, but whenever I had this kind of an issue I'd pop linux live cd in (ubuntu live cd for example), mount the partition and modify it the way I need it. Dunno if it is an option for you.

sorry for the delay comp going complete ape poop. I have Dell inspiron 1420. I have been running a counterfeit windows 7ultmate for a while and because of the pop up said counterfeits create. I decided to purchase windows 7 professional and downloaded this windows and have had problems since. My recovery drive is full and I cant delete files from it. I get messages saying things like "you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file". I need to empty recovery D: in order to have other programs installed. I also have a screen after the dell logo that is black with two window 7 boxes. One doesn't do anything the other down loads a basterdized version. I also cant set to a earlier time. Hope this helps Jack

Recovery drive/partition should not be accessible to you. Were you able to save files on it before?

P.S. You know there are ways to activate the counterfeit version of Windows :) And that is why I don't use it anymore, don't want to mess with it. Takes me a full day to install and configure Win7 with all the drivers, issues etc. While it takes me 30 minutes to install and configure linux for mu preferences...

Back