What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

everything is looking good carn! keep up the great work!
flava is amazing, and that jamban and macro are cute little buggers!

I LOVE the veitchii K! I want one!! Wow!! :0o:

When you come to ICPS, could you please take your cat with you? I'd like to meet her too :p

Thank you all! They are really nice plants, I find N. macrohylla is very hardy, more so than AW N. hamatas IME.

Thez - Don't hold your breath about me coming :lol:

Very nice, dude. Lovin the flava flaaav

in love with that K. What a happy CP. :clap:

Nice going. Plants are looking great.

(cat sez: Soon you'll all be in my belly!)

Thanks Brokken and Mass :)

Very nice, dude. Lovin the flava flaaav

Hahah! You got me thinking, I've always pronounced it flah-vah, but do you say it fley-ah?

Dude. Looking great! I love em all. Especially that plant with the pink flowers, that is sort of cactus, but with leaves. I really should figure out just what those things are. I have one and it just flowers all the time, I love it.

Thank you dex! That plant is Euphorbia milii, the flowers look pinkish but they are actually red!

Thanks Brokken and Mass :)

Hahah! You got me thinking, I've always pronounced it flah-vah, but do you say it fley-ah?

I was just talking about this with someone else. The correct latin pronunciation would be "flah-vah," but I tend to just pronounce these names as I see them. For example, I was criticized by someone for saying "jahm-bahn" when he claimed it was "jam-ban," but hey, I took Latin and that's what I base it off of. Tomayto/tomahto, right?

FINALLY an update! Looking good!

Great update! Beautiful veitchii!

I was just talking about this with someone else. The correct latin pronunciation would be "flah-vah," but I tend to just pronounce these names as I see them. For example, I was criticized by someone for saying "jahm-bahn" when he claimed it was "jam-ban," but hey, I took Latin and that's what I base it off of. Tomayto/tomahto, right?

dunno. words used outside of latin such as names and places tend to complicate things? do you just pronounce it as you would the name, or would you latinize it?
tatei, kenneallyi, macdonaldae, jacquelineae, macfarleni, mikei, pittopangii, leonardii, attenboroughii--a whole slew of non-latin names, do we pronounce these latinized or not? i have the tendency to pronounce them as non-latin except for their suffixes.

jamban is not latin but rather indonesian, meaning "toilet"---so, personally, i would have pronounced the name the way an indonesian would. but that's just me.

dunno. words used outside of latin such as names and places tend to complicate things? do you just pronounce it as you would the name, or would you latinize it?
tatei, kenneallyi, macdonaldae, jacquelineae, macfarleni, mikei, pittopangii, leonardii, attenboroughii--a whole slew of non-latin names, do we pronounce these latinized or not? i have the tendency to pronounce them as non-latin except for their suffixes.

jamban is not latin but rather indonesian, meaning "toilet"---so, personally, i would have pronounced the name the way an indonesian would. but that's just me.

Good point, I suppose it's hard to say though, since both of the words used in binomial nomenclature are supposed to be in Latin grammatical form. However, I suppose this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be pronounce as such, since some of the words have no latin derivatives..

In my head?
flava = flah - vah (like open up and say 'aaahhh' at the doctor's)
tatei = tat - eh
kenneallyi = keen- ee- ally - eye
macdonaldae = macdonald - eye
jacquelineae = zhahckwelin - ee - eye
macfarlenei = macfarlan - eh
mikei = mike- ee - eye
pitopangii = most of the time, pit - o - pang - ee. if I feel prissy the end turns from 'ee' to 'ee - eye' :p
attenboroughii = a'en'bor-ee cuz I'm a yanqui as david would say haha!
and I'm sure I'm doing jamban wrong, but zhahm- bahn. like in auto-bahn.

I think that in a lot of cases only the person who named the plant, and some close associates, would be certain. Many scientific names are greek-based as well. As long as we know which plants we're talking about I'm good.

I always thought the suffix "ae" was pronounced like a hard "A". I have never taken Latin courses though, so I wouldn't know.

I always thought the suffix "ae" was pronounced like a hard "A". I have never taken Latin courses though, so I wouldn't know.

That would be correct.

Back